sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD ATL chapter.

Roza Diaz is the first ever Latina woman to come out as bisexual on a popular show. Within the span of 22 minutes the show, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, managed to have more positive representation than most shows do in seasons. Before even making Roza’s sexuality canon the writers of this show created a remarkable Latina woman. Roza is badass woman who stands her own ground. She is who she is without apologizes. Roza and her co-worker Amy Santiago are two strong Latina woman who stand together highlighting the importance of girl power and girl solidary.

Having characters like Roza and Amy is important because of the impact they have on the viewers. Little girls see strong woman being represented on the big screen, strong Latina woman. Growing up it was not often that I saw woman like me being show cased in positive way on TV or in movies.

Growing up I definitely did not see bisexual woman on TV. Even recently the media’s representation of bisexuals has not exactly been the kind that I relate to or even want too. There is a lot of backlash that comes with coming out as bisexual. Comments and stereotypes we could all do without. Pick a side, do we want to have a threesome, how do I know you won’t cheat on me? Some of which TV writers tend to focus on most.

As a bisexual I have to beware that not only am I fetish for straight men or woman but also not gay enough for some members of the LGBTQ+ community. TV show writers like to focus on over sexualizing LGBTQ+ members. We are a fantasy for views. Click bait. Terms like queer baiting have become popular because of writer’s tendency to hint at a certain sexuality but never make it canon. Bisexual characters are good for plot lines revolving threesomes and cheating partners. Bisexual characters are for a little fun for writers to have their character experiment but never come out. They may have a same-sex partner for a bit but ultimately not end up with that person.

As rare as it is to have a bisexual character, it’s even rarer for them to be a person of color. We need more LGBTQ+ people of color represented on the big screen. This is why having a beloved character like Roza Diaz, a strong Latina woman, come out as bisexual is so important. Not only did Brooklyn Nine-Nine make her sexuality canon but in the episode Game Night it tackled more issues that bisexuals have to deal with then most shows ever do.

Roza had to come out to her parents and her them say they would rather she be dating a married man than be gay or bisexual. She had to explain to them that bisexuality does exist. When her parent said there was no such thing as bisexual she responded: “Yes there is. I know there is because that’s what I am.”

She told them that what she was feeling wasn’t new. That her sexuality has always been her sexuality. She’s always been Roza, before they knew and now that they do. “I’ve known this about myself for a really long time.” She told them.

It was as funny and heartwarming as every Brooklyn Nine-Nine episode is and like every other episode it tackled an important issue in a productive and humorous way. If you want a show with great representation that is also funny and wholesome. Watch Brooklyn Nine-Nine. Support a show that actually takes the time to portray its characters in a healthy way.

High-spirited fashion designer with sound knowledge about the management and promotional aspects of the industry. My inquisitive nature enables me to discover efficient ways of streamlining marketing approaches to reach target audience. The process of translating various topics into a collection of garments after intensive research and visual development, makes me feel empowered because it is a unique medium of self-expression. However, I am fully aware of the importance of marketing a product in order to gain the best results which makes me equally passionate about both the aspects of Fashion World