This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD ATL chapter.

What does it mean to be cruelty free?

According the Wikipedia, “In the animal rights movement, cruelty-free is a label for products or activites that do not harm or kill animals anywhere in the world. Products tested on animals are not considered cruelty-free, since these tests are often painful and cause the suffering and death of millions of animals every year. With that, any products sold in China are not cruelty free, because it is apart of their law that products MUST be tested on animals.” 

How can I have a part in this?

The easiest way I think one can participate is the next time you go shopping. I personally did this myself. I switched to cruelty free products my freshman year of college. The transition was pretty easy with some products but a little difficult with other. I can’t call myself cruelty free, but I like to make those decisions. You don’t want to limit yourself when you do this. For example, I have a face wash my dermatoligist recommended I use that’s not cruelty free.

How do I know if something is cruelty free or not?

These are the symbols to look for on a bottle to know if it is cruelty free or not. Rarely, you’ll have a product with no symbol that says it’s cruelty free though. 

You can also use these websites to figure out if your favorite brands are cruelty free or not. 

https://www.crueltyfreeinternational.org

https://features.peta.org/cruelty-free-company-search/index.aspx

https://www.crueltyfreekitty.com/list-of-cruelty-free-brands/

Popular Makeup Brands that are cruelty free

Anatasia Beverly Hills                

bareMinerals                              

Becca                                          

BH Cosmetics                            

Bite Beauty                                  

Buxom                                         

Charlotte Tilbury                          

Colourpop                                    

Deborah Lippmann                    

Dose of Colors                             

First Aid Beauty                          

Glossier                                       

Hourglass                                    

IT Cosmetics  

Jeffree Star Cosmetics   

Juvia’s Place

Kat Von D 

Laura Geller

Makeup Geek

Melt Cosmetics

Milk Makeup

Natasha Denona 

NYX

OFRA Cosmetics

Physicians Formula

PUR Cosmetics

Smashbox

Urban Decay

My name is Daniela. I am an Alumna of at SCAD Atlanta. An interesting fact about me is that I have three citizenships: American, British, Canadian.
High-spirited fashion designer with sound knowledge about the management and promotional aspects of the industry. My inquisitive nature enables me to discover efficient ways of streamlining marketing approaches to reach target audience. The process of translating various topics into a collection of garments after intensive research and visual development, makes me feel empowered because it is a unique medium of self-expression. However, I am fully aware of the importance of marketing a product in order to gain the best results which makes me equally passionate about both the aspects of Fashion World