Maggie Schneider:  The Girl To Watch Out For

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD ATL chapter.

Image courtesy of Maggie Schneider.

For singer, song-writer, and SCAD Atlanta student, Maggie Schneider, it is not difficult to believe that success is in the future.  An incredible source of inspiration, I recently got to  sit down and talk with her about life goals and what inspires her. 

SH: What inspired you to start a music career?

MS: I’ve always loved music. Since I was five years old I’ve been singing and dancing. It’s always been a huge part of my life. So, when I began to find venues and musicians to collaborate with, I found even more inspiration. I really started taking my music career seriously about two years ago, when I booked my first local opener gig at The Masquerade. After that and due to the incredible support, I couldn’t stop performing and putting music out!!

SH: What is the process you go through to write a song? 

MS: When I write a song, a melody or lyrical idea typically comes first. For example, I wanted to write a song about the beloved Masquerade venue, and thus I started writing “695 North Avenue”. It all comes together differently each time. When I was writing “For Me It’s You”, I started with that first guitar lead intro and worked from there. After that idea, more creativity is sparked, and some of the best songs that I write have been written in a couple hours or less. There’s something spontaneous about the process that makes it special.

Image courtesy of Maggie Schneider.

SH: Any challenges you experience being a young female musician? 

MS: Luckily, I haven’t experienced too many challenges as a young female musician in the music industry. I have been fortunate to surround myself with people in the business who are supportive. But, with all of the arts, I think that many people challenge or look down on young artists like myself. I think it sucks. To me, age is quite literally a number, and one’s work and drive to continue working is what matters. Bands like All Time Low, Paramore, and State Champs started out young and look where they are now! I really hope to change this, especially when people come to my live shows.

SH: Why did you pick SCAD and the major you picked?

MS: SCAD was my first choice college and it was the only one I applied to! I chose SCAD because the first time I entered the Welcome Center at the Atlanta campus, I felt inspired. When touring other colleges, I left feeling bored, and wanting more out of an education. I wanted to explore the arts, and meet a diverse group of people who all share similar creative dreams. When I got my acceptance letter on my birthday, I cried (tears of joy, of course!!!). In these first three weeks, SCAD has exceeded my expectations. I love going to this school. The major that I have chosen is Film and Television. Aside from my aspirations, I really want to write and direct television movies and series. It has always been a path that has interested me, and I hope to make the next “Gilmore Girls” or “Bates Motel”, someday.

Image courtesy of Maggie Schneider.

SH: Is it easy balancing your music career and college? 

MS: So far, it has been easy balancing my academic, musical, and social schedules. SCAD is rigorous- we all know that!! But it is still giving me time to see my friends, decompress, and play music on the weekends. I’m not stressed out, but I am busy. I think it is so fun to be doing so many different things! One hour I’m drawing an urban landscape and the next minute I am playing a live concert on Facebook. It keeps my life from being boring!!

SH: Advice to any young musicians or artists? 

MS: My advice for young artists and musicians is to continue to create work!! As artists we can be our own worst critics, but you’ll never know what you can create until you try! Also, don’t listen to those who challenge you because of your age. Stay determined and work hard. Your talent will shine through in the end. Follow your dreams no matter how big they are.

Check out Rockin Mags’ Music on SoundCloud or YouTube and follow her on social media for the latest.