Career

Influencer on the Rise: The Uprise of Aaliyah Jay, New Beauty and Fashion Influencer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD ATL chapter.

Social media and the power of influencers have taken our lives by storm. We are constantly viewing our favorite influencer’s accounts for anything from motivation to tutorials and entertainment. There are so many rising influencers, who are now making big bucks, have fame, and are living the American dream. 

Image Credit: YouTube

A rising influencer, name Aaliyah Jay, has become an “It Girl” and young mogul.  Aaliyah Jay has built a successful career filled with paid partnerships with beauty and clothing giants including Maybelline, Bohoo, and Fashion Nova, make-up artistry for celebrity clients, a new clothing line, and a growing fan base of over a million people worldwide.  Born in the fast-paced city life of New York, Aaliyah Jay took the first step in her career at the age of 16 with her first beauty tutorial on YouTube. Deciding to devote a career to her passion in influencing and all things beauty, she consistently posted and engaged social media users for 9 years. She posted a lot of content ranging from beauty and hair tutorials, personal stories, motivational stories, holiday vlogs, travel vlogs, fashion, reviews, and much more.  

Beauty and Fashion ADS

Image Credit: Fanjoy

About two and a half  years ago at a networking event, she met and instantly fell in love (not romantically) with her current manager.  Now at 25, she has done multiple campaigns with Maybelline including a holiday charity initiative last year. Just yesterday, she celebrated the launch of her clothing line. She released her own Aaliyah Jay Army clothing brand named after her devoted fan base. Her army includes over two million followers on Instagram, YouTube, Twitter, and Facebook. With a bold and urban aesthetic, her line consists of a metallic logo on gray cotton athleisure set (also sold as separates). Her brand also includes a cute pink and white phone case with the coined term “it girl”.  

Make-up Artistry

Image Credit: YouTube

Besides entering the fashion world, she has succeeded in celebrity makeup, recently adding celebrity clients, like Nicki Minaj, to her long resume. This was a dream come true for the rising influencer, being that she has always looked up to the platinum-selling rapper. Her relationship with the rapper began with a brief introduction at a beauty event, then shortly after, Nicki began following and liking Aaliyah Jay on Instagram. Then in the fall of 2018, Aaliyah was able to snag an opportunity with Nicki Minaj. Nicki released an Instagram post requesting users to comment the best Make-up artist for her to use in a music video. Aaliyah quickly commented to Nick Minaj’s post, and was granted the job. 

Aaliyah Jay has expressed that she has big dreams and will work to expand her future within Beauty, Fashion, Social Media, and overall Self-Actualization.

Image Credit: YouTube

To keep up with this rising influencer and Her Campus visit Instagram pages @aaliyahjay and @hcscadatl.

Angel Bailey

SCAD ATL '20

I’m a Fashion Marketing major, with a minor in business and fashion design. I also work as a mental health counselor. I love all things fashion, fun, music, travel, food and volunteer work.