How to Build a Timeless Wardrobe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD ATL chapter.

Image courtesy of Neiman Marcus.

Most women in college have what I like to call a TFD wardrobe. What does TFD stand for? “Trendy, fast and disposable.” It’s the reason why we clean our closets every season and make way for our new set of key items for the warm or cooler months. I’m guilty of this but, thanks to the advice of my fashion teacher, I’ve decided to start building a more elegant wardrobe. The pieces for this will be more expensive but will last for years and will evade the “seasonal cleansing” of our closets. Building a good wardrobe doesn’t mean that you need to go out tomorrow and spend $12,000 on a couple outfits. It’s about investing in key pieces over time. Before you know it, you’ll have built a beautiful and sustainable closet.

Make Sure You’re Looking for the Essentials

Don’t run out and grab that new polka-dotted, studded, mesh-lined spring dress just yet! Every woman should have a little black dress that is versatile and suits her body. This is the one I own and personally reccommend:

Image courtesy of Neiman Marcus.

The other staple items of your wardrobe will include a trench coat, hand bag, pencil skirt and simple jewelry. I found this list by Matchbook Magazine to be very helpful in collecting these items. Remember to choose neutral colors (black/grey/white/nude) that can be worn for any occasion and with any other color.  

Don’t Sacrifice What You Don’t Have To

Buy clothes that make you feel comfortable. I’ve always wanted to be able to wear six-inch heels and walk around as easily as the runway models do, but that’s just not realistic. Style should be effortless. You shouldn’t be worried about breaking your ankle every time you get up to do something. Wear clothes that conform to you, not the other way around. I stick to four-inch heels and below and recently my favorites have been wedges. This same concept applies to tight pants, plunging shirts and revealing skirts. Find the coveted sweet spot between “stylish” and “comfortable.”

Image courtesy of Neiman Marcus.

Have a Go-To Look

This doesn’t mean wearing the same outfit everyday; it’s about finding what flatters your body and sticking as close to that base as possible. Having a pear-shaped body, I prefer to wear slimming, narrow jeans that give my legs more shape coupled with a looser top. This can mean I wear skinny jeans some days, pencil skirts the next or even tights and shorts the day after that. Pick one outfit that makes you look amazing and try too see what it’s doing so you can stick to it.

Image courtesy of Neiman Marcus.

It’s OK to Keep it Simple

Having style is about wearing your personality, but the best way to go about this is to keep it subtle and effortless. You don’t need to scream “I LOVE YELLOW” at the world by wearing an all-yellow pants suit, shoes and bag. Try for something more like this:

Image courtesy of Neiman Marcus.

Accessories are small but powerful. Choose them wisely and know that one or two strong pieces will be enough. My favorite accessories are a necklace or scarf and a gemstone bracelet. Personality should be spoken, not shouted.

Bonus: Makeup, Perfume and Shoes

French women are known to have two signature perfumes: one for cold seasons and one for the warmer months. Right now I’m in love with J’adore Dior for the colder seasons but have yet to find a lighter scent for Spring and Summer.  If you have any suggestions, feel free to comment below!

Following the guidance above, your makeup should be simple and natural if you’re looking for a classic style. Of course you’re free to wear bold lipstick or smoky eyes but emphasizing your natural beauty will always look good. I prefer it to giving myself thick eyeliner and dark contouring. Think of this as your go-to makeup look.

Shoes are just as important to your outfit as your clothes. Nude high heels elongate your body and make you look thinner and taller. Flats give you comfort without resorting to tennis shoes. My signature shoes at the moment are a pair of black wedges that instantly make any outfit feel more dressed up and glamorous.

Image courtesy of Neiman Marcus.

What are your tips for a timeless wardrobe? Leave a comment below. 

An artist that chooses to express myself through writing and intense yoga poses. Right now I'm a junior at SCAD Atlanta and, as a result, a writer for HC SCAD. I am admittedly nervous to begin the new year because I'm going to delve into the waves of new students and try to find interesting people to interview. Here's hoping there's some crazy, fresh faces. I love looking at the stars and finding constellations in my free time and reading up on unsolved murder cases when I need a light read. I'm a little eccentric at times (and mostly brooding during the other hours) but I like to believe all the best people are.