Style > Beauty

Here’s What Happened When I Tried Acrylic Nails for the First Time… PART 2!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD ATL chapter.

Part 1

“So, I really would say if you want to give acrylics a try, do it, but I personally do not recommend it.” If you read the first article I wrote, you may recall this statement. Here I am again talking about acrylics, because I decided to give it a second try. 

Part 2

This time I decided to go somewhere different for my nails. I went to Lush Nail Bar located in Atlantic Station and my technician’s name was Kevin. I told him how I didn’t want my nails to be as thick, because they were last time I had them. He informed me that the nails shouldn’t be thick and were improperly done. If you recall, last time I got square shaped nails, and that was a mistake. This time I got coffin shaped nails based a suggestion from my friend. 

The Process

Last time, the process was a bit painful. The sanding of my nails this time wasn’t too bad. A major thing I didn’t like was how painful my nails were after the fact. It felt like I had someone squeezing my fingers, it so was bad. This time I only had a little bit of pain in two of my fingers. I think the whole process took about an hour or so. I was really picky with the shape and length of my nails, because I needed to make sure I would be able to take out my contacts every night. I choose a gel nail polish so they would look nice for longer.   

The Results

I loved my nails when we were finished! I was so obsessed! The cost was about $60 or so, which I didn’t think was absolutely terrible. They lasted about three weeks until I would have needed a filling done. I ended up just removing them after that time, because I was going back to work the following week.

The Aftermath

My natural nails did not sit well with the acrylics. Immediately after having them removed, my nails would break really easily. It’s been about a month since I had them removed, and you can see the imprint of where they were. It also created white stress marks on my nails. I knew acrylics were damaging to your nails, but I didn’t realize it was this bad. I ended up having to cut my nails really short, to ensure I didn’t break one too far down. Like I said, it’s been a month since the removal, and my nails have grown half their usual length. It’s going to be a while until my nails have “healed” properly. 

I recant my previous statement in “Part 1”. I think if you’re interested, give acrylics a try, just don’t have them all the time!

My name is Daniela. I am an Alumna of at SCAD Atlanta. An interesting fact about me is that I have three citizenships: American, British, Canadian.
High-spirited fashion designer with sound knowledge about the management and promotional aspects of the industry. My inquisitive nature enables me to discover efficient ways of streamlining marketing approaches to reach target audience. The process of translating various topics into a collection of garments after intensive research and visual development, makes me feel empowered because it is a unique medium of self-expression. However, I am fully aware of the importance of marketing a product in order to gain the best results which makes me equally passionate about both the aspects of Fashion World