Fun Times Await at the Dogwood Festival

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD ATL chapter.

Every day of spring should be spent outside in the glorious air. Classes should be conducted in the outdoors. Sunshine should be soaked in. With the days getting longer, the skies so much brighter, and the  trees filling up with green, the urge to go outside is getting harder and harder to ignore. Spring is in the air in Atlanta, which means pollen and the odd smell of wet dog are also in the air.

People across America are asking what that smell is. The funky stench has been described as the smell of certain bodily fluids. I think a more appropriate description is the smell of a dripping dog sitting in the back set after playing in the cool waters of a muddy river.

The culprit for this smell: the Dogwood Tree, also known as the Callery Pear Tree or Pyrus calleryana. Beetles are attracted to the kind of fetid fragrance the Dogwood Tree produces. The Dogwood produces white five-petal flowers that bloom in the early spring, and line the streets of Atlanta making for a pretty sight. Which also means, you can’t walk a block without being affronted in the nose by the whiff of wet dog.

But it’s nothing to protest against. In fact, blooming Dogwood trees are a cause for celebration. They designate the season of rebirth – the coming of spring. The Dogwood Festival, held in Piedmont Park, is just such a celebration.

The 81st Dogwood Festival takes place during the second weekend of April and it’s a staple of springtime in Atlanta. Last year, they commemorated a dogwood flower sculpture in Piedmont Park to mark the 80th festival. Many flock to the park where there are events, artist booths, musical performances and – best of all – tasty food to entice people to rise out of hibernation. 

The artists’ market consists of booths and tents lining the walkways. There are hundreds of booths that make you feel like an insect walking in a field of white poppies. Artists sell paintings, sculptures, jewelry, pottery, photography, and more. Last year, there was a guy selling cigar box guitars he made in his garage. There are quality goods made by artists from Atlanta and around Georgia. There is also a High School art exhibit where a committee selects a few pieces to be awarded.

Live musical performances will also be playing all weekend long at the park. There is a main stage where southern rock, blues, jazz, rock and pop bands will play, while the international stage will host many cultural groups formed in Atlanta, such as the Taiwanese School of Georgia, Atlanta Irish Music School, Junkanoo group to name a few.

While walking around the park, listening to music play in the distance, you can find a bite to eat at the many food trucks and venders setup along the main walkway. There is such a large variety that it will be hard to pick between a Korean BBQ tacos, gyros, funnel cake, turkey burgers, pretzels…and well you get the idea. There will be food to suite everyone’s tastes. But maybe save the food until after you ride some of the carnival rides that are available.

There is so much to do during the festival that your senses will be overwhelmed. You’ll see bright colors and cheerful faces, hear chatter and laughter, and definitely smell the slightest bit of wet dog.  Spring has sprung upon us, so spring back into action by heading to Piedmont Park  this weekend, the 7th through the 9th. Did I mention it’s free to the public! Find event scheduling and more details about the Dogwood Festival at www.dogwood.org.

Photo from the Atlanta Business Chronicle.

High-spirited fashion designer with sound knowledge about the management and promotional aspects of the industry. My inquisitive nature enables me to discover efficient ways of streamlining marketing approaches to reach target audience. The process of translating various topics into a collection of garments after intensive research and visual development, makes me feel empowered because it is a unique medium of self-expression. However, I am fully aware of the importance of marketing a product in order to gain the best results which makes me equally passionate about both the aspects of Fashion World