Five Must-see Girl Power TV Shows

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD ATL chapter.

Netflix and TV-watching are a popular way for many collegiettes to unwind after a long day of classes, extracurricular activities and homework. If you’re looking for a TV show that features a strong female lead, here are a few of our favorites!

1. Downton Abbey

Photo courtesy of instyle.co.uk.

This show, available now through Amazon Prime, has many different storylines that interweave with each other, many of which focus on the three daughters of an English earl. ‘Downton’ takes place from 1912-1925 during a time when women were still fighting for their rights. Despite the rigid society in which they live, Mary, Edith and Sybil are all very opinionated and fight for women equality. Mary in the first season battles for her right to inherit her father’s fortune and title despite being a woman, Sybil is a proud and vocal supporter of woman’s suffrage, and Edith eventually takes over as editor of a magazine. The three daughters defy gender roles of the time and have strong heads on their shoulders.

2. Once Upon a Time

Photo courtesy of costumedetective.com.

There are so many strong female characters in OUAT that it’s hard to know where to start. There’s Emma Swan, who leaves her life as a bounty hunter in the big city to move to Storybrooke, Maine to be with her son. Emma has always forged her own path and doesn’t tolerate being pushed around, probably because she grew up as an orphan being shuttled around to different foster homes. Then there’s Snow White, who despite her Disney reputation is a really kick-butt character. She survives on her own while on the run from the Evil Queen (another strong female character), shoots a bow and arrow, and saves her prince’s butt more than a few times. There’s also Regina — she may have been the Evil Queen once upon a time, but now she’s a fiercely protective mother who does her own thing and takes crap from no one.

3. Grey’s Anatomy

Photo courtesy of etonline.com.

Grey’s Anatomy is full of independent, strong female characters, all working together as surgeons. Meredith, the main character, speaks her mind and has very clear dreams and goals for herself. Christina is a very talented surgeon and does her own thing — she’s confident and sassy and very determined. Izzy fights to prove that even pretty girls who are models can be good surgeons. The women in this show don’t let anything keep them down and they’ve all had to work hard to get where they are. They learn the value of friendship by supporting and coming through for each other. Talk about squad goals!

4. Heartland

Photo courtesy of uptv.com.

Amy Fleming takes control of her family’s ranch, Heartland, when her mother passes away suddenly. Heartland is a special place where abused horses are rehabilitated and given a second chance. Amy works with “problem horses” and patiently helps them overcome their issues. Her grandfather and older sister run the ranch, but Amy’s the one working with the horses and figuring out what they need. She learns to stick up for herself when dealing with pushy clients and trust her abilities as a horsewoman. The work that Amy does is inspiring and she’s got lots of spirit and determination.

5. Bones

Photo courtesy of eonline.com.

Dr. Brennan (Bones) is a forensic anthropologist working for the Jeffersonian, and she’s a highly intelligent woman with a keen eye for detail and solving crimes. She doesn’t let people push her around and she’s confortable and confident taking the lead on the research and forensics aspects of homicide cases. Bones is brave and never backs down from a challenge while she expresses opinions in her typical rational way. She never gives up on a case and always works tirelessly to find the truth.

So, if you’re looking for a captivating show with some amazing female leads, try out one of these! 

My name is Kate and I love reading and writing stories. I especially love fiction and fantasy.