Five Moments from ‘Downton Abbey’ We’ll Never Forget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD ATL chapter.

As ‘Downton Abbey’ fans are aware of, the show is currently in its sixth and final season. While bidding farewell to the show will be sad, there’s no reason that we can’t look back at some fond moments in no particular order from the show.

SEASON 1 EPISODE 1

Bates is about to be let go, but Lord Grantham stops him from leaving.

Photo courtesy of visiontv.ca.

Lord Grantham: Get back inside, and we’ll say no more about it.

Bates nods, walks back to the house.

Lord Grantham: It wasn’t right, Carson. I just didn’t think it was right.

SEASON 1 EPISODE 5

At the flower show where Isobel accuses Violet of having won by tradition rather than merit.

Photo courtesy of pinterest.com.

Violet: You are quite wonderful, the way you see room for improvement wherever you look. I never knew such reforming zeal.

Isobel: I take that as a complement.

Violet: I must have said it wrong.

SEASON 2 EPISODE 9

Matthew proposes to Mary.

Photo courtesy of http://es.downtonabbey.wikia.com.

Matthew: You’ve lived your life, and I’ve lived mine, and now it’s time we live them together. 

Mary: We’ve been on the edge of this so many times, Matthew. Please don’t take me there again unless you’re sure.

Matthew: I am sure.

SEASON 3 EPISODE 1

Family dinner. Cora’s mother is about to arrive for a visit.

Photo courtesy of http://www.pbs.org.

Violet: I’m so looking forward to seeing your mother again. When I’m with her I’m reminded of the virtues of the English.

Matthew: But isn’t she American?

Violet: Exactly.

SEASON 4 EPISODE 5

Bates comforts Anna.

Photo courtesy of downtonabeby.wikia.com.

Bates: You are made higher to me, and holier because of the suffering that you have been put through. You are my wife, and I have never been prouder, nor loved you more, than I love you now at this moment.

Anna: Truly?

Bates: Truly.

So, yes, we’re sad to see the show have it’s last curtain call, but here’s to a great series finale!

My name is Kate and I love reading and writing stories. I especially love fiction and fantasy.