This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD ATL chapter.

Between classes, workshops, social life, homework, jobs, and more, it can be tough finding “me” time. Sometimes, it’s easy to get caught up in the things going on your life that you put everything else first before yourself. While this is courageous and shows resilience, making yourself a priority is necessary for a healthy, stress-free life. Having alone time allows you to reset and be at peace, even if it’s for a few hours. You have to force yourself to be the number one person in your life (aside from God if you’re religious).

How can you start putting yourself first?

Learn how to say “no”

You can’t do everything your friends, professors, managers, etc. ask you to do. Taking on more responsibilities when you know you need time to yourself is not good. If the people in your life ask you to do something, you can say “no.” And when you do, don’t feel guilty. They may get upset and question you, but they will get over it. You’re not being selfish by saying “no.”

Manage your time wisely

Sit down and write down what your days are like. By writing a list, you can see where you can have opportunities to make more time for yourself. Managing your time does require some sacrifices such as getting up earlier or not taking a certain route home. Be willing to do what it takes to get as much of your time back.

Actually have “me” time

Whatever makes you happy, whether it’s drawing, writing, reading, etc., make time to do it. This is your “me” time, the time to do things you love to do. Having “me” time is just as important as everything else is in your life. It reminds you of your purpose and why you get up every day. Even if it’s for fifteen minutes a day, your “me” time should be something you look forward to when you’ve had a tough day.

Take yourself out

In spite of what society makes you think, there is nothing wrong with doing things by yourself. It is okay to go the movies, the mall, to a restaurant, or a bar alone. While it is better to have someone with you, sometimes you need to be alone. Treating yourself is the extra step you can take to get more “me” time.

Putting yourself first and at the top of your priority list can be challenging. But by doing so, you’ll see the impact it has on your life and why it’s all worth it. You’ll be happier and actually want to get up for your crazy full schedule because you know you’ll have time for yourself once the day is over. You’ll feel less stressed, be in a better state of mind, and have confidence as you navigate through your day.

Dominique is a 2018 graduate of SCAD Atlanta, where she received her MFA in Writing, and a chapter advisor for Her Campus. She hails from Greensboro, NC and is a proud HBCU grad from the illustrious Winston-Salem State University. When Dominique is not writing, she teaches it. She is all about writers being their authentic selves, even if it makes other people uncomfortable.
High-spirited fashion designer with sound knowledge about the management and promotional aspects of the industry. My inquisitive nature enables me to discover efficient ways of streamlining marketing approaches to reach target audience. The process of translating various topics into a collection of garments after intensive research and visual development, makes me feel empowered because it is a unique medium of self-expression. However, I am fully aware of the importance of marketing a product in order to gain the best results which makes me equally passionate about both the aspects of Fashion World