Style

DTour: A Private Shopping Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD ATL chapter.

I was recently invited to privately shop at DTour, a small, but very large in character store that keeps stock of designer must haves in downtown Atlanta. Upon my arrival to the 4th floor in which they are located, I was greeted by two managers at the receptionist desk that were deciding on what final shots to use and of who. They were name dropping some pretty important celebrities. My eyes immediately went to this huge screen installed on the wall that had a reel going of all the celebrities that have stopped by the studio. I felt like I had entered into a modeling agency. The office had a cool color scheme of orange, black, and white. Which are of course the official colors to represent DTour.  It was an overall relaxed atmosphere. The staff was all very warm and welcoming. You are easily able to tell who an associate is by their attire. They all wear DTour merch.

After a brief introduction with the staff, I was then led by a manager into DTour. We leave the receptionist area, and navigate past an ongoing photo shoot. Of course, there was a playlist going on in the background to help set the mood. The studio has great natural lighting due to being lined with large lofty windows. On the opposite side, the walls are decorated with large paintings of famous Atlanta native rappers. Majority, if not all, of the artwork is done by local Atlanta artist.

I continue to follow the Manager into a smaller room. The decorative flow changes as we move from a studio space into a more intimate shopping atmosphere. During the chat I had with the Manager we spoke about how DTour is being pushed as its own brand, although it is located within Cam Kirk Studios. You are only able to shop by appointment. This is due to exclusivity of the items in stock, as well as the space it resides within. The manager also explained to me that it is a community, and that they want to be very personable with their clientele. As I browsed through their clothing collection, I fell in love with some of the pieces they had. There was a variety of brands on display, some local and some from overseas. I would have bought everything if my pockets allowed me. 

I would like to point out what this does for the brands in stock. By creating a space for other brands to be sold in person that would otherwise be sold online or only overseas, creates the opportunity to broaden their consumer base. He explained to me that there was no extra fee added to the price of clothes for being sold there. All profits go back to the respective brand. There were also a lot of other knickknacks available for purchase. I briefly looked through magazines, lighters, drink coasters, key chains, and even dolls of famous rappers. One thing the items in stock had in common where that they were produced by rather small companies. These are carefully designed items that you most likely will not see being sold in Walmart, target, or any other retail giant. I’m personally looking forward to any next steps DTour takes. I’ll definitely be making an appointment to shop again soon.

Follow them on instagram @dtourshop to find out how you can book your own personal appointment to shop at DTour. 

Ivy Banks

SCAD ATL '20

Born in northern Virginia and raised by New Yorkers, Ivy was exposed to a lot growing up. Ivy Bank$ is a Film & Television major at SCAD Atlanta. Born to two Artist, it's no mystery on why she decided to take up the arts herself. As a little girl she lined the walls of her room with her own paintings. As she grew, so did technology and her interest in different art forms. By her preteens she took up filmmaking, and has stuck with it ever since. At the age of 17, she was diagnosed with a rare brain condition that only spared her some sight in her right eye. Due to the extreme amount of vision loss, she stepped away from physical filmmaking. To deal with the pain of a huge lifestyle change she took up writing. Writing for Ivy has become a way for her to express her deepest thoughts, and help others visualize the way she views the world. She's very passionate about writing screenplays, and aspires to direct her own studio film one day. Follow her on Instagram @boy.no