Dancing All By Myself With Crane: Beau Geste at deFINE Art

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD ATL chapter.

Image courtesy of Kara Robson.

This week at SCAD ATL, a dance company called Beau Geste drove a construction tractor to the parking lot next to our main building and started dancing with it.

The crowd who gathered to watch the performance was quite interested in knowing the underlying meaning of the performance’s unconventional dance partner aka the giant tractor. In an interview with the Savannah Morning News, the choreographer Dominique Boivin said the bucket is representative of “a human hand that carries, elevates and protects ….”

Image courtesy of Kara Robson.

The dancer/choreographer was a part of Beau Geste, a dance company that began in 1981 with six other dancers from the National Centre of Contemporary Dance in Angers, France. It was led by Alwin Nikolaïs, an American choreographer. The company’s art direction was then handed down to three other dancers — Philippe Priasso, Christine Erbe and Dominique Boivin, the mind behind the man and the tractor. 

Image courtesy of Kara Robson.

Dominique Boivin has choreographed other dances like On Track, The Cat, and LUMEN

I am an animation major, a creative writer, and a webcomic artist for Tapastic. My hobbies include watching 2-D and 3-D cartoons, writing, drawing, animating, and some other things if I had more time!