Come Meet New People & Network at our Sketch in the City Series & Exhibition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD ATL chapter.

What does it look like to be in a community?  Why is it important?  Well, most professionals, especially creatives, will tell you (as countless have told me) that at the end of the day much of your success will depend on who you know.  It seems to be how it works – people seem to gravitate toward who they know.  At the beginning of our time at SCAD, we are encouraged to make connections and get to know the people around us because they will become a big part of our network after SCAD.  These are the people we have spent many long nights side by side, hours upon hours developing and refining our skill in _______ (insert major here), who challenge us to step up our work and to keep pushing.   We have cried, laughed and pushed our limits together. We have persevered through terrible work to better work to our best.  As a senior, about to graduate in a month, I go to my Self-Promotion class twice a week to a classroom full of people that I know, love and truly enjoy being around.  Many I have known from class after class in the illustration department, while some I am just now getting to know.  They have each added to me in different ways, but all together, it feels like a treasure.  I want this for everyone. 

When we look back at some of the most fruitful creative people throughout time, we can see that many of the more successful ones maintained friendships and connections with other amazing people before they were famous and throughout their longterm success.  From successful contemporary actors and musicians, to famous historical artists (like, John Singer Sargent, who maintained close friendships with many of his contemporaries), authors and more – these artists, respected each other, exhibited together and feature each other in their work.  This is what we all have access to, as we are constantly surrounded by amazing creative people all the time!  So, why not be intentional about it? 

This quarter, we want to dive into what developing a creative community can look like. Starting with our Sketch in the City creative networking series.  We have picked a few locations in the city to head to together for a time of hanging out in a creative way.  We will have events in the afternoon (12-2) each Friday for the next 3 weeks, encouraging people to meet, carpool and do simple creative things together.   We will end the series with an exhibition that will feature our work alongside other SCAD peeps that want to participate.  Works can be anything from painting to sculpture to writing to photography and more – be creative and have fun with it!  The event will likely have some other refreshing appetizers and giveaways as well.  We are super excited to end the year strong together.

Sketch in the City Sketch Series: 

The title evokes a little Sex in the City – though completely by accident.  It’s quite succinct for what we are trying to do in developing community – I mean, who doesn’t love the close friendships that these ladies enjoy on the reg and doesn’t secretly want the same?  The event idea, however, came from a brief research project I did on the creative process of illustrator Steve Simpson.  I met him at the Illustration Conference last summer where I was a student volunteer and I wanted to find out more about what he does in his professional practice.  I found that, among other technical practices, Steve is heavily involved in the creative culture in Ireland and hosts regular “Sketch-Crawl” events in Dublin, which bring together a ton of young artists to sketch at various places in the city for a day and end with a pop-up gallery.  This idea sparked some serious inspiration in me when I heard about it – it seemed like the perfect way for SCAD students to get to know the city of Atlanta a little more, all while meeting other people and forming friendships.  Of course, with our crazy schedules, I knew it would be better to have these in bite sizes.  So, partnering with the SCAD Drawing Club and the Illustration Department, we scheduled shorter events for people to go to that wouldn’t take all day.  All our sketch events are from 12 to 2 p.m. on Fridays, so you can join us and do the other things that are also on the schedule. We’re keeping it simple, while not forgetting that networking in our creative community is a real investment. 

So, come meet people, write, sketch, paint, take photos, etc.  – do what you do – and maybe have some donuts and coffee while you’re at it (hello, Dunkin’ Donuts of Marietta will be sponsoring some of our events!).  Who knows maybe you will find your peeps here?  You truly never know who you are meeting. 

Piedmont Park – April 28, 12 to 2 p.m.

Our first event is this Friday at Piedmont Park!  We will meet up at 12 p.m. around the entrance at 14th street and Piedmont Dr., chat a bit, maybe have some refreshments, then disburse to sketch around the park.  You are free to stay as long as you would like, though I would encourage you during the time that you are there to meet one new person.  It’s a simple way to make a new friend.  

Zoo Atlanta – May 5, 12 to 2 p.m.

Our second event will be at the Atlanta Zoo, which thanks to Rick Lovell, of the SCAD Atlanta Illustration Department and Richard Hezlep, Director of Creative Services of Atlanta Zoo, we were given free entrance for the day!  For any who would like to come with us to the Zoo, please fill out our form with your info and carpooling availability before April 28th.  We will meet at the main entrance near the flamingoes on May 5 – don’t forget your SCAD ID!  And, you are welcome to stay as long as you like here as well.  

Chattahoochee Coffee Co. – May 12, 12 to 2 p.m.

Our final event will be held at the Chattahoochee Coffee Company.  The Chattahoochee Coffee Company has two locations – West Midtown and Riverside – we will be at the Riverside location.  Not only does this place have prime access to some amazing coffee and desserts, but also to the Chattahoochee River.  This site is truly picturesque (esp. for being within a major city).  So, don’t be shocked if you feel like you are on at a retreat once you get to the area where the shop is. It’s a gorgeous site you will want to make a regular part of your time in Atlanta.  It’s even better living there!  It is a quick 15-minute car ride from SCAD and we will be offering a carpooling option for this event as well.  It is located inside the Walton on the Chattahoochee Apartment Complex.  Just dial 101 at the visitor’s gate and say “coffee“ or “coffee shop” and they will let you in.  From there, simply follow the signs to the coffee shop. 

Atlanta Gallery Exhibition

Our culminating exhibition will be held at Christchurch Presbyterian on May 13, from 7 to 9 p.m.  We are extending an invitation to be featured in a gallery exhibition to any who are associated with SCAD, whether a student, faculty or alumni.  So, even if you already have a cool Atlanta piece and you have not attended the sketch events, submit your piece!  The more the merrier.  Please see the following criteria and fill out the Exhibition form to be featured! 

Entry details:

All entries must represent Atlanta in some way (particularly, to celebrate it).  Pieces can be any dimension under 18 inches, in either square, portrait or landscape format.  Pieces must be framed or professionally presented – a simple frame will do!   We will accept either finalized works or sketches (sketches must be neat and framed) – so, be creative and have fun.  Pieces can be turned in May 12 or 13 afternoon for the show.   

I hope you will join us!  Please feel free to pass on this info to any SCAD student, faculty or alumnus.  See you soon.  HCXO

Starting out as a staff writer & visual contributor in the Spring of 2016, Christine soon became the replacement Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Savannah College of Art and Design for the 2016-17 school year. In January 2017, she facilitated the launch of the SCAD Atlanta branch's own editorial launch, apart from the Savannah campus, leading the team to win some 2017 Her Campus awards!  She is an illustrator and avid history lover, and she also served in the Army as an Analyst and went to Bethel Ministry School before attending SCAD.  Her goal, as an illustrator, writer and in life in general, is to mine life of the treasure contained within.  She loves to find and put on display ideas, people (portraiture) and beautiful things.  Valuable things that are all around us in our everyday life in the form of friends, coworkers, classmates, nature, even industry.  She loves music (even writing songs and performing!), dance and new adventures.   Eventually she plans to write and illustrate children's books, have her own business featuring greeting cards, paper products, and her own revolutionary online/physical editorial publication.  For more about Christine check out her website at www.christineburney.com.