Career

Black Girls Who Rock at SCAD Atlanta: Meet Genae Dorsett

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD ATL chapter.

It’s always important to make sure to keep things in check. When you are among the people in charge of campus residence life, things may seem hectic when you are essentially looking after large buildings of eager, anxious students. However, when you’re on top of it, you’re on top of it all. That’s why Genae Dorsett, SCAD Atlanta’s assistant director of resident life and student conduct is a Black woman who rocks. I reached out to her so she could tell her story and how she does what she does. This is her story.

What drew you to work for SCAD?

The student focused, positively oriented environment drew me to work at SCAD. The learning opportunities are endless at SCAD for both students and staff.

What do you love most about your job? What do you love most about working at SCAD?

I love that the environment is creative and motivates the students to be the best that they can be. What I love most about my job is being able to guide students while on their college journey in a positive way. Sometimes there are road blocks or unforeseen circumstances that students struggle with but I am happy that I can be of support to students during these times. SCAD has enabled me to consistently grow in my passion which is to provide students that live on campus with a home away from home. I have learned a great deal about handling crisis situations, leading a team of staff and students as well as preparing for new changes (our new residence hall opens Fall 2019!)

What are some of your aspirations that you would live to achieve outside of your duties as a faculty/staff member?

Outside of my daily role at SCAD, I would love to pursue some of my innovative ideas regarding mobile app development for colleges. With fast pace of technology emerging daily, I hope to gather data through assessments on service quality in higher education settings. With the results, I hope to create apps that will support better service quality experiences for students in college.

What are some goals that you would like to achieve while at SCAD?

While at SCAD, I hope to continue to grow professionally while consistently improving the housing experience for our students.

How do you see SCAD evolving over the next few years?

Over the next few years, I see SCAD growing in enrollment but also consistently in areas of academic learning experiences for students.

What is one piece of advice you would give to students at SCAD?

I would encourage students to utilize the resources available to them whether it is the library, student success departments or online software provided. SCAD offers students a holistic experience and it is up to each individual student to shape their journey while at SCAD. We as professionals are readily available to assist while students are moving toward obtaining their degrees.

Thank you so much, Genae, for sharing your story.

Cosette Nelson

SCAD ATL '20

Hello! I am a student at SCAD’s Atlanta campus studying for a B.F.A. in sequential art. I am a staff writer for SCAD ATL’s HerCampus chapter and I write opinion-based articles based around current news, pop culture, mental health, and intersectional feminism. If you have any suggestions for article ideas, email me at askcosettehercampus@gmail.com