7 Reasons You Will Make a Great Fit for the Her Campus at SCAD Atlanta Team

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD ATL chapter.

Her Campus SCAD ATL is looking for lots of new peeps to join our team. I have had the pleasure of leading the initial phase of launching our chapter of Her Campus specifically at the SCAD Atlanta campus — and now, the team just needs to be filled with the people that represent all the women of SCAD.   We all want to read the stuff that includes us and takes into account the things that we care about, whether it’s news, fashion trends, health, social topics or strategies for creative success.  We want that, too.   So, here’s our open-invitation to come join.  If you resonate with the following, you are pretty much perfect for our team and we would love for you to apply.  

1. You love to write (use your creative skills)

You know you have things you want to share — this is the perfect place to practice, refine those skills and grow into your craft.  Are you an amazing writer, photographer, designer or do you have another amazing skill?  We would love exhibit it! 

2. You are not afraid to be yourself and to share your amazingness

It is my personal conviction that each person is as unique as their fingerprints and has something to teach the world just by being themselves.  It has also been a primary pursuit of this team to put people in the positions that match their passions and strengths.  We encourage students pretty much write about what they care about and each month we submit several pitches to both glean from each other and give feedback.  Her Campus SCAD ATL has room for your unique self — what is your special sauce? Your unique style? What is your passion?  A great place to start getting to know for yourself is by taking a personality test.  

3. You like to be creative and to talk about new ideas

Art students are already creative, but it takes practice to learn to communicate our ideas.  Writing for a publication like HC is a great way to hone your skills in sharing your ideas. 

4. You’re a smart cookie with an open-mind

Your voice matters and others will benefit from hearing what you must say, so long as you are courageous enough to listen as well.  It’s super important for writers and creative people in general to be open to hearing other perspectives — how else will we learn and grow?

5. You are not scared of the occasional uncomfortable topic

Sometimes valuable things come in uncomfortable packages — that doesn’t make them any less valuable.  We learn greatly from adversity and we at HCSCADATL try to promote this value by example as much as we can, by challenging ourselves to write more about the subjects that can be uncomfortable (within reason, of course).  We learn from being challenged and invite those who think differently to share their perspectives.  The important thing is to respect & listen to each other.

6. You want community & to find your people

Life at SCAD ATL can be fun, but it is often not experienced to its fullest potential.  HCSCADATL wants to connect more students to more opportunities and events that help grow a more active campus. Being a student at SCAD can also be difficult.  There is SO much to do, SO many places to be, SO many potential employers to impress…This life is a privilege but it can get heavy and overwhelming fast.  That’s when it is essential to have support and people who know you & care about you. HC has always been a community meant to support and add to the women around us.  Whether you are a writer, illustrator, leader or simply a student wanting to find friends, I hope that you will find a safe place with Her Campus SCAD ATL.  So, come to an event, write a few articles here and there, share your visual talents — bring yourself to the table.  

7. Lastly, you love getting free stuff & are always up for new opportunities 

Everyone on the HC team gets free stuff from sponsors every quarter in our Survival Kits, which is a pretty sweet part of being on such a dynamic team. The best part though is the people you will get to meet with the many opportunities that open up with Her Campus, like College Fashion shows, specifically tailored conferences, volunteering opportunities with important brands and all the amazing people you will meet on the HCSCADATL team. 

If that’s you, we want to connect!

Learn a little more about HC & maybe consider applying:

1. Learn a bit more about what Her Campus is about, who founded HC and what it’s all about.

2. Apply to be on the team.

3. Email us at scad-atl@hercampus.com to set up a brief interview.

Get to know our current happenings by following us on social media!  We regularly post announcements on our Instagram; events, happenings, and articles on our Facebook and Twitter; and we also have some sweet inspiration on our Pinterest and YouTube!

Starting out as a staff writer & visual contributor in the Spring of 2016, Christine soon became the replacement Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Savannah College of Art and Design for the 2016-17 school year. In January 2017, she facilitated the launch of the SCAD Atlanta branch's own editorial launch, apart from the Savannah campus, leading the team to win some 2017 Her Campus awards!  She is an illustrator and avid history lover, and she also served in the Army as an Analyst and went to Bethel Ministry School before attending SCAD.  Her goal, as an illustrator, writer and in life in general, is to mine life of the treasure contained within.  She loves to find and put on display ideas, people (portraiture) and beautiful things.  Valuable things that are all around us in our everyday life in the form of friends, coworkers, classmates, nature, even industry.  She loves music (even writing songs and performing!), dance and new adventures.   Eventually she plans to write and illustrate children's books, have her own business featuring greeting cards, paper products, and her own revolutionary online/physical editorial publication.  For more about Christine check out her website at www.christineburney.com.