6 Things I am hoping for in the New Season of Grey’s Anatomy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD ATL chapter.

For those out there who, like me, are fans of Grey’s Anatomy, Season 13 can’t get here fast enough. I’m eagerly awaiting the post-summer reunion of my favorite characters, discovering what trouble they get themselves into and what kinds of drama they have to navigate this time. I love Grey’s for many different reasons, but one of them is the way that the show portrays powerful women. The female characters on the show regularly hold their own against their male counterparts, working hard to gain respect as women in the largely male-dominated surgical field. So, to celebrate the new season, here are some things on my wishlist for the leading ladies of Grey-Sloan Memorial.

1. Maggie and Meredith: NOT Fighting Over a Guy

Photo courtesy of www.wetpaint.com

Okay, so that cliffhanger at the end of Season 12 with Maggie admitting to Meredith that she likes Riggs was a nail-biter, since Meredith may have feelings for him, too. I really hope that it doesn’t turn into some big fight between the two sisters. I hope that they remember that their sisterly bond runs deeper than some squabble over a guy, and that they need not define themselves by their relationship status.

2. Bailey: Still Running the Show

Photo courtesy of www.hollywoodreporter.com.

Bailey as Chief of Surgery was an amazing step for women in the show because, as Arizona points out in Season 12, she’s the first woman to be Chief in the history of the hospital.  So, my hope is that Bailey, as one of the strongest characters, remains secure in her position as Chief.

3. The Lady-Chief Trifecta: Being There for Each Other

Photo courtesy of www.hollywoodtake.com

Amelia names the trio of sisters (herself, Maggie, and Meredith) the “Lady-Chief Trifecta” when Meredith is appointed as Chief of General Surgery, Maggie being Chief of Cardiothoracic Surgery and Amelia the Chief of Neurosurgery. These three have consistently shown that they have each other’s backs, they’ve demanded respect and earned their jobs. All three of them are brilliant surgeons, and I’d like to see them support each other and help each other out as sisters.

4. The New Chief of Ortho: Following in Callie’s Footsteps

Photo courtesy of www.usmagazine.com

Callie fought for her job as Chief of Orthopedic Surgery, and she is the epitome of a strong, working woman who doesn’t take crap from anyone. Since Callie moved to New York to be with Penny (well, really Sara Ramirez left the show, but hey), we’re going to need a new Chief of Ortho, and having another strong lady who will push and challenge everyone in a positive way would be great.

5. Amelia and Owen: Starting a Family

Photo courtesy of www.bustle.com.

So, Caterina Scorsone, who plays Amelia, is pregnant in real-life. Since in Grey’s both Amelia and her husband, Owen, want kids and they’re in a committed, loving relationship, I would love it if they wrote the pregnancy into the show. A running theme throughout Grey’s has been how women surgeons are forced to choose between their careers and their families. Meredith struggled with feeling abandoned since her mother chose her career over her, and ever since Meredith has been committed to making sure that her kids never feel passed over like she did growing up. I think that Amelia and Owen would be another great example of how women can have both a family and a career. Plus, Amelia is such a strong person, and both she and Owen have been through a lot in their lives. Like, a lot. So I’d love to have some extra happiness come their way! 

6. Cristina: Coming Back for a Visit

Photo courtesy of www.abcnews.go..com

I’m pretty sure that most Grey’s fans miss Cristina. She says what she feels without apologizing for it; her bluntness and her confidence are both pretty legendary. It would be great to see her return to Grey-Sloan to visit everyone and to show that as a surgeon a woman can be just as successful as a man! Plus, a surprise appearance from Cristina would really spice things up around the hospital!I’m fairly sure that I’m not going to get all of the things on my wish list for Season Thirteen, but I am pretty sure that we’ll get to see some more instances of women being awesome in the upcoming season!

Check out more articles by Kate Betts.

My name is Kate and I love reading and writing stories. I especially love fiction and fantasy.