5 Crazy ATL Experiences Artists Have to Try

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD ATL chapter.

Right now, Atlanta is the nation’s underdog city for arts and culture. Blockbuster films are shot here and independent bookstores have flourished. We’re home to a delicious drag scene and several saucy nightclubs. Not to mention the array of distinguished art museums, theatres and non-profits tucked away in downtown, midtown and various neighborhoods.

As SCAD students, we should be taking advantage of these one-of-a-kind creative opportunities. So what’s stopping us? Time? Money? Laziness? If you look hard enough though, you’ll find that Atlanta accommodates all of these roadblocks. If we want to be successful artists, we need to feed our creative impulses by checking out the diverse art scene in our beloved Georgia capital. So the next time you and your friends or a loved one go gallivanting around town, make an effort to dip your toes into these unusual art ventures.

1. The Rocky Horror Picture Show

Image courtesy of Pinterest

This fishnet-entangled adventure is sure to get the creative juices pumping and make an extravert out of anyone. Proudly known as the longest-running show in Atlanta, the incomparable Lips Down on Dixie hosts this raunchy run-down on aliens, transvestites and sex-capades every Friday night at midnight at the historic Plaza Theatre for just $12. Be prepared to be offered gay bacon strips (rainbow Airheads), yell obscenities, be spritzed with water and dance the Time Warp. What better way to force a shy friend out of her shell?

2. Noguchi Playscape

Image courtesy of www.hermanmiller.com.

The Noguchi Playscape in Piedmont Park is teeming with minimalist inspiration for those young at heart. The brainchild of sculptor Isamu Noguchi, this playground is full of geometric and organic shapes and is meant to show how useful a sculpture can be in everyday life. Grab a friend and get back to basics by swinging on swings, sliding down slides and immersing yourself in the building blocks of art: shapes, colors and textures.

3. The Junkman’s Daughter

Image courtesy of The Junkman’s Daughter.

Situated in the heart of Atlanta’s most eccentric neighborhood, The Junkman’s Daughter is a waystation for kitschy, crazy hoarders roaming Little Five Points. Established in the early ‘80’s by a real junkman’s daughter, this alternative superstore has pulled many unsuspecting shoppers into its orbit, including an impressive range of celebrities. Set aside an afternoon to peruse mounds of edgy paraphernalia with friends – there’s bound to be a treasure that will catch your eye and find its way into your next project. Don’t forget to take a selfie on the red high-heel staircase!  

4. Krog Street Tunnel

Image courtesy of www.city-data.com

This century-old tunnel not only connects four Atlanta neighborhoods – Old Fourth Ward, Inman Park, Cabbagetown and Reynoldstown – but showcases a network of underground street art. The graffiti is full of wit and void of gruesome imagery or gang symbols. Pedestrians and cyclists frequent the walkway and the private owners allow anyone to add their own design to the tapestry of wall art. So skip the movies and instead take a stroll through this eye-popping collection of community art; you’ll be grateful you live in Atlanta.

5. Doll’s Head Trail

Image courtesy of Atlanta Journal Constitution

A four-part blend of wildlife refuge, hiking trail, art exhibit and snake pit, Doll’s Head Trail is not for the faint of heart. The area was molded by both humans and the South River and is littered with trash that visitors have experimented with to create artwork using bottles, old televisions, bricks and (you guessed it) doll’s heads. Get your fill of vitamin D by hiking this haphazard path with a buddy and be on the lookout for animal wildlife and bizarre artwork.   

Staying home to work on an art project is fine, but every now and then reward yourself for all of your hard work by exploring some of Atlanta’s artistic gems. Who knows, you might just find your next big idea.        

Emme Raus

SCAD ATL

Emme Raus is studying for her B.F.A. in writing with a minor in creative writing from the Savannah College of Art and Design. She studies at the SCAD Atlanta campus and loves her dog Jerry.