Words You Love That You Didn’t Know Existed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

Have you ever had a feeling but you couldn’t think of a word to actually describe that feeling? Well here is a list of some words or phrases that perfectly describe things for me sometimes in life. I hope you enjoy, and keep exploring words that you didn’t know existed!       

·      Bedgasm: A feeling of euphoria experienced when climbing into bed at the end of a very long day.

·      Textpectation: The anticipation felt when waiting for a response to a text.

·      Jouska: A hypothetical conversation that you compulsively play out in your head.

·      Liberosis: The desire to care less about things.

·      Serendipity: Finding something good without looking for it.

·      Latibule: A hiding place: A place of safety and comfort.

·      Appetence: An eager desire, an instinctive inclination; an attraction or a natural bond.

·      La douleur exquise: The exquisite pain of wanting the affection of someone you know you can never have.

·      Philocaly: The love of beauty.

·      Uitwaaien: To take a break to clear one’s head.

·      Trouvaille: A valuable discovery, or a lucky find; something lovely discover by chance.

·      Serein: The fine, light rain that falls from a clear sky at sunset or in the early hours of the night; evening serenity.

·      Ruckkehrunruhe: The feeling of returning home after an immersive trip to only find it fading rapidly from your awareness.

·      Noctuary: The record of a single night’s events, thoughts, or dreams.

·      Honne: What a person truly believes; the behavior and opinions which are often keet hidden and only displayed with one’s closest confidants.

·      Euneirophrenia: A peace of mind that comes from having pleasant dreams.

·      Cingulomania: A strong desire to hold a person in one’s arms.

·      Vemodalen: The frustration of photographing something amazing when thousands of identical photos already exist.

·      Qulatgh: The first person you meet on a special day.

·      Cafune: The act of tenderly running one’s fingers through someone’s hair.

·      Nodus Tollens: The realization that the plot of your life doesn’t make sense to you anymore.

·      Metanoia: The journey of changing one’s mind, heart, self, or way of life.

·      Hyggelig: Taking pleasure from the presence of gentle, comforting and soothing things; a feeling of friendship, warmth, peace and contentment in a comfortable and cozy atmosphere.

·      Meraki: The soul, creativity, or love put into something; the essence of yourself that is put into your work.

·      Occhiolism: The awareness of the smallness of your perspective.

·      Tarantism: Overcoming melancholy by dancing; the uncontrollable urge to dance.

·      Fika: Drinking coffee along with eating something sweet.

·      Pluviophile: A lover of rain; someone who finds joy and peace of mind during rainy days.

·      Insouciant: Complete freedom from worry, concern or anxiety; one is completely carefree and nonchalant to the world around them.

·      Saudade: The feeling of longing for something or someone who you love and which is lost.

·      Clonomania: An excessive desire to stay in bed 

Jersey Girl. Coffee Lover. Fashionista Photographer. Loves traveling to Paris and plans to live there one day.
A junior at St. Bonaventure University majoring in Journalism/Mass Communications and French. She can always be found with a Dunkin Donuts iced coffee in hand, at the gym attempting to do yoga, or binge watching Grey's Anatomy with Ben&Jerry's. You can follow her on twitter @emilyrosman or on Instagram emilyrosman.