This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

Elizabeth Grant, known as Lana Del Rey, is a New York-born singer and songwriter. While it may be easy to confine her to these categories; she is much more than that. Lana Del Rey is a musical icon who is extremely talented at touching on the haunting beauty of womanhood.

Like if you hold me without hurting me

You’ll be the first who ever did

Cinnamon Girl by Lana Del Rey

Elizabeth Grant was born in Manhattan, New York City, to Robert Grant and Patricia Ann. She has two younger siblings; Caroline Grant and Charlie Grant. When she was still very young, she moved to Lake Placid, New York, where she became a cantor in her school’s choir.

When she was a teenager, Del Rey was sent to Kent School by her parents to resolve her alcohol problem. She has said in interviews that a fascination with death and her inability to understand mortality led to her excessive drinking.

When I was very young I was sort of floored by the fact that my mother and my father and everyone I knew was going to die one day, and myself too.

Lana Del Rey for The Telegraph, 2012

When she finished school, she moved to Long Island for a year to live with her family there. She was taught the guitar, which helped her to realize her musical potential. Del Rey began to write songs and perform them in nightclubs across New York City. Most of the songs she performed remain unreleased, adding to the legendary sense of mystery that follows her.

Del Rey began her college education at Fordham University in 2004, where she graduated with a degree in philosophy. Shortly after she finished her degree, she released “Kill Kill”, a three-track EP, which connected her to a few other artists, producers and record labels.

I love you, but I don’t know why.

You Can Be the Boss by Lana Del Rey (Unreleased)

Lana Del Rey released a series of music videos in 2011 for her songs “Video Games” and “Blue Jeans”, both of which skyrocketed her to fame. The songs both have a vintage Americana feel to them and are different versions of a modern love ballad. When her album, “Born to Die”, was released, it topped the charts across the world, but this was only the beginning of her wildly successful career.

Lana Del Rey has since released seven albums, with another one set to be released on Mar. 24, 2023. Each album has a unique artistic vibe and addresses various social concerns, but her music speaks mostly about women and love.

The culture is lit and I had a ball
I guess that I’m burned out after all

The greatest by Lana Del Rey

Lana Del Rey creates music for women who crave a deeper sense of self and a more raw definition of what it means to be a woman. She tells the stories of women who crave love and support, yet are scorned everywhere they turn. She speaks for women who are soft, gentle and feminine, but also for those who have dark pasts and crave revenge for the wrong done unto them.

Not only has she changed the music industry, but she has revolutionized the alternative genre, allowing a community of women who can relate to her to grow and thrive.

You told me I didn’t know who I was, but I do

My Bedroom is a Sacred Place Now – There Are Children at the Foot of My Bed by Lana Del Rey
Mary Quinn, known as MQ to most, is the events planner for the St. Bonaventure University chapter of Her Campus. She is responsible for planning, coordinating, and executing all events for the chapter, as well as publishing articles weekly. Mary Quinn is currently a second-year student studying English with a passion for philosophy. Aside from Her Campus, Mary Quinn has previously written for PolitiFact NY, a media organization dedicated to publishing the whole truth, as a political reporter. Mary Quinn is involved with SBU College Democrats, serves as the membership chair of the Student Government Association (SGA), is co-president of Break the Bubble, a campus service organization, and an ambassador for St. Bonaventure University's Freshman Leadership Program. In her time away from academics, Mary Quinn loves spend time with friends, shop for new skincare and makeup, listen to music, and read. Mary Quinn absolutely adores her two dogs, Joey and Murphy, and likes to spend her free time helping out at the local SPCA. She believes there is no crisis that cannot be solved by a good hike or walk. Mary Quinn's favorite conversation starter is that she won Camp Gossip and Best Tan at the summer camp she worked at. There is nothing Mary Quinn loves more than Ethel Cain's music and the Allegany River Trail. Mary Quinn is currently a second-year student studying English with a passion for philosophy. Aside from Her Campus, Mary Quinn has previously written for PolitiFact NY, a media organization dedicated to publishing the whole truth, as a political reporter. Mary Quinn is involved with SBU College Democrats, is co-president of Break the Bubble, a campus service organization, and an ambassador for St. Bonaventure University's Freshman Leadership Program. In her time away from academics, Mary Quinn loves spend time with friends, shop for new skincare and makeup, listen to music, and read. Mary Quinn absolutely adores her two dogs, Joey and Murphy, and likes to spend her free time helping out at the local SPCA. She believes there is no crisis that cannot be solved by a good hike or walk. Mary Quinn's favorite conversation starter is that she won Camp Gossip and Best Tan at the summer camp she worked at. There is nothing Mary Quinn loves more than Ethel Cain's music and the Allegany River Trail.