This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

Winter break is just that: a break.

In many ways, it was one for me too. 

I didn’t think about school, I slept in, I hung out with friends, and I had days that I spent lounging around the house. 

But it many ways it was not a break for me, just a change of pace. 

I worked 30 hours every week, I spent every minute I could with the people who I would miss when I came back to school, and, most importantly, I got out of my reading slump and read over 10 books in the 5 weeks I was home. 

So, to make sense of everything I read, I will review some of the top books I read while home (from December 8th to January 14th).

PSA: Most of these are audiobooks. I know some people will argue that listening to the audiobook does not count as reading something, and while I agree that it is different than physically reading a book, I don’t think it is any less valid to say you have still “read” the book.

Iron Flame by Rebecca Yarros (audiobook, 28 hours) 

12/20/23 to 12/26/23

This was the sequel to the popular fantasy book, Fourth Wing. I loved Fourth Wing, and I soared through it extremely quickly. However, that was more than a year ago. While I was hooked by the story, most of my excitement and anticipation for the book had died down by the time this book came out. And while I did go to Barnes and Noble the day it was released to buy a copy, I am quite embarrassed to admit that I hadn’t read past a couple pages until I started the audiobook. It made it so much easier to get through the book and made the over 600 pages much less daunting. This book was long and nowhere near as good as the first one in my opinion. It was boring and to be honest, a letdown. I felt frustrated at Violet, the main character for most of the book, which made it very difficult to get through. I also felt like the relationship between her and Xaden, her male love interest, was thin and built on sexual tension and lust. The only redeeming thing in the book was the ending that did make me want to read on. 

Overall: 2 ½ out of 5 stars

Tender is the Flesh by Agustina Bazterrica (paperback, 209 pages)

12/14/23-12/16/23

This was an out of comfort zone read for me. This was a horror, dystopian novel about a world where all animals contracted a deadly parasite that made it impossible for humans to eat them. To fill the gap in the meat market people started raising humans as cattle and eating them instead of cows, pigs or anything like that. It was disturbing… but it was interesting and I’m glad I read it because it showed me that I can, in fact, read something other than a romance book. The whole world building was really well written and made it seem like not a horror book or a comment on human nature but rather a direct telling of what was happening. The plot, however, was a little thin and just felt like a side thought compared to the world building. 

Also gets an extra point for the heavy anti-government undertones. 

Overall: 3 ½ out of 5 stars

Terms and Conditions by Lauren Asher (audiobook, 13 hours) 

1/02/24-1/03/24

This has been everywhere on booktok and on every romance recommendation list for a while. It was exceptionally ordinary and an easy read. However, it was fun and a valid time filler. I did love the main trope (marriage of convenience) and it got 5 stars for readability from me in my book journal. It was not the most memorable or impactful book but I would recommend it to anyone who wants a good romance to read. 

Overall: 3 out of 5 stars

Love, Theoretically by Ali Hazelwood (audiobook, 13 hours)

1/06/24-1/08/24

After I saw two glowing reviews for this book on TikTok, I knew that I had to start this one. I read The Love Hypothesis by the same author a few years ago when it was popular, and I remember liking it (and learning that it was an Adam Driver fanfiction which made me like it more) but honestly, I don’t remember much about it. I do remember that it was about a scientist which means this author really, really likes writing about scientists. This book centered on a theoretical physicist, The Love Hypothesis is about chemists, and her other book, Love on the Brain, is about a neuroscientist. They all felt like copies of each other. I also read Love on the Brain the same week and it felt like it was the same characters with the same story arch. 

Overall: 3 out of 5 stars

Know My Name by Chanel Miller (audiobook, 15 hours)

1/04/24-1/05/24

This book was super impactful. It was a personal memoir about Chanel Miller, who was known by the media as Emily Doe, the victim of a sexual assault by a wealthy, popular college athlete, Brock Turner. This was her telling of everything that happened during the time following the tragic event. It includes the event, the immediate aftermath, the years of trial, an insight into how the justice system treats victims, and how these things affected her in so many ways. It was inspiring, saddening, and enraging. I’m so glad that I finally read this book and I will never stop recommending it to people. It was insightful and gave a new perspective of a story that has been told so many times. 

Overall: 4 ½ out of 5 stars 

Fix Her Up by Tessa Bailey (audiobook, 10 hours) 

01/05/24-01/06/24

This was your basic romance book. It was good, fun, and quick. I don’t think it was the most memorable read but it was a cute version of the “my brother’s best friend” trope. I think the author did a good job at not leaning into the “baby sister” role too much with the female main character. I felt like I was reading about a true 20-something woman rather than just the younger sister of some protective guy. 

Overall: 3 out of 5 stars 

The other books I read and their ratings:

A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J Maas (re-read): 4 ½ out of 5 

A Court of Silver Flames by Sarah J Maas (re-read): 3 ½ out of 5 

Practice Makes Perfect by Sarah Adams: 2 ½ out of 5

It Happened One Summer by Tessa Bailey: 3 out of 5

Better Than the Movies by Lynn Painter: 2 out of 5

Abigail Taber is a first-year writer for the St. Bonaventure chapter of Her Campus. She enjoys writing about culture, entertainment, and the happenings in her college life. Abigail is really excited to be a part of such a cool organization that centers around the work and interests of women. She hopes to continue writing for Her Campus and become more involved in the editing and publishing side of things in the future. Beyond Her Campus, Abigail is the poetry editor for the literary magazine on campus, The Laurel, volunteers for the campus food pantry, and can be found in the library most hours of the day. Abigail has had her creative writing published in her high school's literary magazine, The Wisp, and wrote for the school's newspaper, Out of the Blue, all four years. She is currently a freshman at St. Bonaventure University, double majoring in English as well as Literary Publishing and Editing. In her free time, Abigail, or Abbey to her friends, enjoys reading, listening to music, and looking at art for her next tattoo. She is a music trivia master and a known enjoyer of any, and all, romance books. She hopes to pursue a career in publishing books in a big city. Growing up in a small suburb of Buffalo, New York, Abbey wishes to go somewhere that no one knows her name, or her mom's.