Career

Why you should intern at WCBS Newsradio 880 AM?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

As I walked into Entercom in New York City, I was nervous but excited for the start of an amazing internship. I was selected as the New York Mets and News Programming Intern. It has always been a dream of mine to work for my favorite baseball team and radio station. I was in denial that I would be working this summer at my dream internship.

Throughout the internship, I was given incredible opportunities and learned lot about future career opportunities in the radio business. One of my favorite experiences was working the 1969 Mets event at Citi Field. Throughout the event, I worked on producing engaging social media content and working in the press box and meeting the Mets radio broadcasters. I also assisted the executive producer as the tape operator Mets games.

Another exciting event was having the opportunity to work alongside WCBS Newsradio 880 reporters at the New York City ticker-tape parade in honor of the Women’s National Soccer Team World Cup victory. I produced social media and interviewed fans about their love for women’s soccer. I also worked one-on-one with reporters on high profile cases such as the Eric Garner Case and 911 compensation fund.

Throughout the experience, I produced various clips using Burli Software. One of my favorite assignments using Burli was producing the New York Mets First Baseman Pete Alonso homerun record and the Mets pregame “Glad to Have Met Ya.” I also researched and produced weekly content for Things To Do in The tri-state area this weekend.

Throughout the internship program, I attended various company meetings including the annual town hall, the WCBS NewsRadio 880 Business Breakfast with Joe Connolly and weekly Lunch and Learns with other departments at Entercom. The weekly Lunch and Learns were a great opportunity to connect with other interns and executives in the company. Each week we learned about the importance of reaching out and stepping outside of your comfort zone. It gave me a better understanding of the Entercom community.

My supervisor and the entire WCBS NewsRadio 880 staff and Entercom were always willing to help me and wanted me to learn everything about the radio business. Every day I walked into the newsroom I had a smile on my face, excited to know what I would be doing next for the station. This internship exceeded all my expectations and more. I walk away with meeting new people, learning new things and the internship of a lifetime.

As an honors student of St. Bonaventure University, it is my objective to pursue a career that will complement my passion for working with people, my dedication to exceeding goals, and my motivation to innovate. The industries that I hope to make a difference in are fashion, media, and business.