Why Private Schools are the Best During the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

There’s no denying the fact that everyone is in a better mood during the holidays. I could go on forever writing about the millions of reasons why the holiday season is the best time of the year. There are certain places though that have a little extra holiday spirit during the most wonderful time of the year. Sure, you can make the best of it anywhere you go, but there is something special about attending college at a private school during the holidays.

Private schools are notorious for the feeling of belonging to a community no matter where you go. If you’re on campus, you’re family. On private campuses, we hold doors for each other, support every major no matter how generic or foreign and we never pass another person without exchanging a smile. If it sounds like I’m making this up, ask anyone that goes to a private college – they’ll tell you how they’re friends with at least one of their professors on Twitter or Facebook. At a private school, community is everything.

Now, imagine this atmosphere during the happiest time of the year. Yeah, it’s pretty freakin’ happy. Not only do we hold doors for each other now, but every door you open will bring you into a completely decorated room for the holiday season. After all, a small campus is easier to decorate. Just put a festive plant or some string lights around each building and the entire campus feels like the North Pole.

If that isn’t enough to get you in a cheery mood, the people at a private school go out of their way to make sure everyone around them is just as festive as they are. Clubs and organizations band together to create at least one holiday-related event per week leading up to the big winter break. Ugly sweater parties, charity drives… if you want to make a Christmas stocking or a Dreidel, there’s probably somewhere on your campus where you can get it done. If you thought you were on a first-name basis before, wait until people you faintly remember from past classes walk by and wish you “happy holidays.” It’s amazing how this time of year can make everyone a little extra friendly – or creepy, like that guy who sat in the back of your freshman psychology class that magically knows your name now.

Even with all the stress of finals week approaching, it’s nearly impossible not to put a smile on your face when walking through the overwhelming spirit that’s at a private college. Instead of being the Grinch and refusing to partake in such magical activities, you might as well put on your best Santa hat, go buy some candy canes and embrace your inner elf!

A junior at St. Bonaventure University majoring in Journalism/Mass Communications and French. She can always be found with a Dunkin Donuts iced coffee in hand, at the gym attempting to do yoga, or binge watching Grey's Anatomy with Ben&Jerry's. You can follow her on twitter @emilyrosman or on Instagram emilyrosman.