Why it’s OKAY to be Homesick Sometimes 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

It happens to everyone at one point in their college career. 

Before everyone goes away to school, we all think we want to go far to get away from our families and start our lives over. When choosing schools, some people follow through with that logic and go over five hours away, while others wimp out and stay closer to home. 

The expectation of going away to school is making a lot friends, always being busy, and having fun. The reality of going away to school is having too much homework, being alone between classes, and always partying. It is easy for some people to constantly keep themselves busy, and for others it is just the opposite. That does not mean that you have no friends and just sit in your room watching Netflix. It means that sometimes everyone needs a little time to themselves. No matter the kind of college student, everyone ends up missing home at some point. Sometimes it is a fleeting thought and sometimes it can sort of eat away at you. Either way, it is okay and it is nothing to be embarrassed about. 

We grew up with our parents/guardians always being there for us. 

Yeah, as we got older we became less and less helpless, but no, that does not mean that we still do not depend on the people who were there for us at birth. We are learning how to become independent and sometimes it is a huge slap in the face. Realizing that we do not have someone constantly reminding us to do our homework, or to clean our rooms can take time to adjust to. 

Nothing is the same. 

We come to school looking for someone that can be a replacement for our old friends at home. No two people are the same, and we cannot just expect someone to know everything about us right off the bat. At home, we know our friends will always be there for us. However, at school, it takes time to find those people. 

It is okay to be homesick and cry sometimes, but no one should feel that way the whole time they are at school. You should hold it out and find your place because there is a spot for everyone everywhere. When you are feeling down, call someone and talk it out. Everyone will feel homesick at one point in their college career, even if it is only because they miss their bed or dog. You are not alone, my friend; you are not alone.

cheese pizza fanatic
I'm a Junior Strategic Communications major at Saint Bonaventure University, also known as the greatest place on earth. Hobbies include eating ridiculous amounts of food, watching Scandal and swimming. I'm probably wearing converse.