Gilmore Girls walking through Fall Festival
Warner Bros. Television

What Taylor Swift song you should listen to based on your favorite Gilmore Girls Relationship: 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

Be aware that these descriptions have Gilmore Girls spoilers! Happy listening :) 

Rory & Dean: The Last Time 

The Last Time from Swift’s Red album is the era of pleading and begging your lover to put you first. Personally, Dean was never really first, the entire relationship. Especially once Jess came to town, Dean was out the window. He begged both Lorelai and Rory to “keep him at the top of their lists,” but the heart wants what it wants. Eventually, Dean quits and finally means it when he says it’s the last time – it took him long enough.  

Rory & Jess: The Way I Loved You 

Rory and Jess are the perfect ‘bad boy, good girl’ relationship. Between the tension and the pining, The Way I Loved you from the album Fearless is the perfect soundtrack for the season three couple. Rory starts out with the good high school sweetheart Dean but as she gets older, she is looking for something less comfortable. The Way I Loved You is the story of a girl in a solid and consistent relationship, but she yearns for something more explosive. This is the perfect song to imagine a Rory and Jess TikTok edit.  

Rory & Logan: Gold Rush 

If I were biased in this section, I would put Rory and Logan in the song Red. Loving Logan was fun and exciting, but frankly, I don’t like Logan. I don’t think he ever pushed Rory to be her best and was an enabler. He was not kind to people around him (poor Marty especially) and was generally annoying to me. Alas, they were not the worst couple on this show. They are highly enticed to each other and want that ‘Great Gatsby’ model life Rory and Logan both pine for the life that the other has, perfectly resembling the line, “What must it be like to grow up that beautiful?”  

Lorelai & Luke: Invisible String 

My sweet favorites, are Lorelai and Luke. What a pure couple. Between all the ups and downs and everything life threw at them, literally and figuratively, they are the perfect embodiment of an ‘it’s always been you’ trope. I am a complete sucker for them. His keeping her horoscope from the day they met, for an entire decade, is enough proof for me to know that love is real. They truly live out, “All along there was some invisible string tying you to me.”  

Paris & Doyle: Ours  

Ours, from Speak Now, is the ‘odd couple’ anthem. The two quirky oddballs who work perfectly together put to music. Probably the most underrated couple on the show, Paris, and Doyle save ‘the Yale years’ for me. They push each other emotionally, academically, and in their workplace. They understand each other more than any other guy, or friend understood Paris. “They’ll judge it like they know about me and you. And the verdict comes from those with nothing else to do,” is the perfect way to describe the two.  

Lane and Dave: Sweet Nothing  

As the resident gatekeeper of Sweet Nothing, I allow this, and only this, couple to have co-ownership of Sweet Nothing. When the rest of the world around them was full of pressure and tension, they had the ease of each other. They are both incredibly gentle and soft and work tirelessly to make their relationship work. No expectations were ever placed, just the opportunity to have fun together. “Outside they’re pushing and shoving, you’re in the kitchen humming” shows the calmness Dave was able to exude, even in the face of Mrs. Kim! I’ll never know why he was written out (or get over it). 

I could have written about all the other couples as well, but let’s say this is part one. I’m on my way to making a Gilmore Girls x Taylor Swift Spotify link!  

Claire Fisher is the co-campus correspondent for the St. Bonaventure Her Campus chapter. She is responsible for chapter recruitment communications, editing of weekly articles, general managing of chapter logistics and even implemented a once-a-year print issue of HC at SBU. Claire is currently a third-year student studying Communication, Social Justice & Advocacy with focus on theology and political science. Aside from Her Campus, Claire currently serves as co-president of Jandoli Women in Communication, passionate about representation in the media field, and is a student reporter for PolitiFact NY. Lastly, she is a content creator and the communications officer for St. Bonaventure College Democrats. In her time away from academics, Claire loves to go hiking on local trails and enjoying talking about her love of music. She is an avid Spotify user, and will engage in any conversation regarding Meg March.