What I’ve Always Had, But Recently Realized

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

Growing up with 3 older brothers was, and still is, a crazy ride. I guess you could say that I am used to them by now and they are just a huge part of who I am. I’m not writing to tell you why my brothers mean so much to me, but actually to tell you just one perk that I have certainly gained from having them.

Looking back on when I was younger I remember wanting an older sister – someone with whom I could talk about “girl things” with. There is one person that fits in this “sister” category without necessarily being my actual sister. This would be my brother Shane’s girlfriend -actually, fiancé now.

They first met when they were in seventh grade, so I was about 8 years old. When I was younger I guess I just thought of Katie as my brother’s girlfriend, but looking back I was completely wrong. Now that I am older I realize she was the sister that I never thought I had.

I’m not really sure if she knows how much she means to me, and I just wanted to take this time to let her know. She was always around and always including me in things, just as I imagine a true sister would do. As we became older we shared clothes with each other and began to grow even closer as their relationship grew.

The day that Shane called me and told me that he had just bought an engagement ring was one of the best days. Yes, I immediately started crying, but they were only happy tears. I felt as if I had been waiting forever for this to finally happen and there it was. I am currently sitting in the car dreading the six-hour drive ahead of me, but looking forward to the engagement party for Shane and Katie. I have been looking forward to this for the past couple of weeks and am super excited to see everyone that I haven’t seen in a while. I am especially excited to see Shane and Katie because I was actually supposed to go home and surprise them on the day of the engagement but my flight sadly got cancelled.

After all of these years I will finally be able to call her my sister and I can’t wait till this day comes! Only 298 more days, but hey who’s counting?!?

Jersey Girl. Coffee Lover. Fashionista Photographer. Loves traveling to Paris and plans to live there one day.
A junior at St. Bonaventure University majoring in Journalism/Mass Communications and French. She can always be found with a Dunkin Donuts iced coffee in hand, at the gym attempting to do yoga, or binge watching Grey's Anatomy with Ben&Jerry's. You can follow her on twitter @emilyrosman or on Instagram emilyrosman.