This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

Schools provide a lot of academic support for students. These tools and resources that are available can be very valuable. Some students take full advantage of them, but others never use them.

Don’t be afraid to make an appointment or even just stop by an office to ask for more information on the different services that are provided. These resources are here to support students. Some are funded by your tuition and school fees. Make the most of your college experience and get the support you need.

Tutoring is a great service that students can take advantage of. This is perfect for students who don’t have the time to stop during office hours to get help directly from their professor or are too shy to.

Supplemental instructor sessions or teaching assistant sessions can be just as helpful as tutoring. The difference is, students meet in a larger group with their SI or TA for more practice and to ask questions about the course content. Tutoring is one-on-one help.

Many colleges have some form of a career center. At these centers, students can meet with a career counselor to get help on a wide variety of professional development services. Some of these offerings include resume and cover letter revision, interview practice, job and internship search, graduate school planning, LinkedIn account creation and development, networking tips and more. Many of the centers may even have professional rooms for students to book for interviews. Career centers often host workshops and networking events that students can benefit from. Don’t hesitate to use these services to prepare you for your future.

Mental health services are also provided in college. Use these services if needed. Balancing schoolwork and social life can be challenging. Counselors are there to help you through academic overload as well as personal and social issues. Take advantage of these services, especially if you are struggling with mental health.

Visiting your school’s health or wellness center may be less expensive than going to Urgent Care or an actual doctor. Sometimes it’s nice to get the school nurse’s opinion before venturing off campus for care. Some students tend to forget that they do have access to health care on campus.

Finally, talk to your professors. They are there to support you. Don’t be afraid to build relationships with them, they will talk to you about classes and even give you advice and guidance. Talk to them about their career journeys and tell them about your interests. They will support you throughout your academic career and do their best to help you as you’re in the process of figuring out what you’ll do once you graduate.

Hi!! I'm Kelsey and I'm a senior strategic communication major at St. Bonaventure University. I love reading, writing, listening to podcasts and walking!