This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

Everyone has watched at least one romance movie in their life and if not, romance still plays a part in almost every genre these days. From watching two people kiss to a full blown steamy sex scene, this is what people often think of when entering a relationship. It’s that passion and the feeling of someone loving you and holding onto you like you’re important that makes people yearn.  

Everyone wants to be a star in their own movie. 

Who doesn’t want to kiss in the rain under a bright moon? Or experience love at first sight? Hell, some people might even want the passionate screaming and arguing before the make-up sex. 

Unfortunately, it is sad to say, life isn’t a movie. Sorry folks. You have to be really lucky to get to star in The Notebook or Mamma Mia.

We are going to talk about relationships in today’s society. As the title reads, Unavoidable Relationship Mistakes.

First off, what does it mean to be in a relationship? 

I interviewed a sample of college students and they all agreed: A relationship is about “love and wanting to be loved.” It’s about the companionship and the connection a friendship does not give you. The emotional and physical intimate bond between two people that builds trust and hope for the future.

So, what are the unavoidable mistakes? 

To begin, these mistakes are not made by everyone, but they are common amongst teenagers and adults. 

The first unavoidable mistake is lack of communication. For some reason, in nearly every relationship one person is concealing their thoughts and emotions from the other. 

Whether it be not telling their significant other their feelings got hurt by something that was said, or in another case where there is a lack of communication as one anonymous interviewee commented, “they don’t tell each other the truth about how to improve their sexual relationship.” As relationship experts always say, communication is key to a “successful” relationship. If you don’t have it. You better work on it otherwise your relationships won’t always work out.  

Another common mistake is jumping to conclusions. For some reason when people enter romantic relationships they tend to jump to conclusions faster than they would if it was a friendship. This leads to completely unnecessary conflicts.

Why is that? 

Correct me if I’m wrong, but people tend to feel insecure about their relationships. Whether the insecurity is based on the sex life, trust issues, or something deeply personal. The insecurity is always there waddling around in the head. It’s important to note, insecurities can lead to long-term troubles in the relationship and can grow into doubt or assumptions. Oftentimes people are ashamed of their insecurities, and they feel bad (which you shouldn’t) to the point they stuff their feelings inside a genie bottle putting a lid on it.That is where the mistake lies, you have to trust yourself and your partner with what you are feeling otherwise the relationship is doomed to shrivel before it can blossom. 

And now for the avoidable mistake that scores us a home run, rushing into a relationship and moving too fast. 

People commonly enter relationships for love and the hope of spending the future with this person. However, that is not always the case, especially when the emotional and physical aspects are forced. One interviewee stated she has seen many of her family and friends ‘hurl into a relationship all too quickly because “they are desperate to find the one.”’ 

With that, couples’ barrel into bed together faster than they are willing to know each other. Too many fast moves and not enough time to just get to know each other and be in each other’s company. We all need to remember a relationship is not just sex, its a mix of embracing one another and wanting to connect on a deeper level. It shouldn’t be for lust or to hold that person captive in hopes they are the one. 

So, how can you avoid these mistakes?

Obviously it’s going to be hard to avoid any of these common mistakes, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t try. Healthy long lasting relationships are formed when people take it slow and build an understanding of trust and communication with one another.

Hello, sunflower! Alicia Maxwell, meaning noble which she tries to live up to! Currently is a senior writer for the Her Campus SBU Chapter, soon to graduate with her Bachelor of Arts in English Literature. Being an English Lit, she loves to explore and write a range of topics. She doesn’t believe one should limit their skills or knowledge. However, her favored topics are investigative work (i.e., handling our insecurities and housing crisis). Alongside writing for Her Campus, she recently interned abroad in Ireland for STELLARS magazine. For her, it was an experience and an eye-opener. She had the chance to explore a different side of writing (culturally as well). The one article that stuck with Alicia the most was “Eight Gorgeous Irish Markets To Visit This Summer.” Alicia loves markets! Having the chance to explore a few in another country was a dream come true. Before that year, Alicia also served on the college newspaper as a feature writer. The BonaVenture (what a creative name), published articles she conducted on the campus community. Her favorite piece has to be “Campus Community Reacts To The Death Of Tyre Nichols.” It was also her very first article written for the newspaper. Last, but never not least, she had interned for her college archives performing research on a past Bonna Student, Roi Ottley. Her work was combined onto the college archive's website to update what information they had on him. Aside from her work as a writer and student, she enjoys taking walks with her head in the clouds seeing the world from another perspective. She also loves browsing Netflix, critiquing and analyzing the artwork.