This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

If books have 100 fans, I am one of them. If books have 10 fans, I am one of them. If books have one fan, it’s me.

The problem with reading books for me is I forget the plots of a lot of them and then feel the urge to reread them.

I have a bit of an obsession with buying books, (especially at the thrift store because they’re so cheap), so my shelves fill up really quickly. They’re full of finished books, books that have been on my TBR for an embarrassingly long time, and unfortunately, forgotten books.

A few months ago, I decided to keep a book review journal.

My book review journal has slowly become my pride and joy. It’s a simple little black leather journal that is filled with notes on the books that I have finished. I get so excited to finish a book solely so I can write in my journal. The pages are bursting with colors from my drawings and doodles of things that are significant to the book, printed out photos (especially if it has a movie or show adaptation), and funny quotes from the novel.

Reading for me is an accomplishment thing. Like I have a tangible item that I have finished cover to cover when I’m done. This is the reason I have the horrible habit of also buying the physical copy after I’ve finished reading the digital copy, so I end up paying for both either way…I don’t recommend doing that. I organize my shelves so I have all of my finished books in one section and it feels awesome to have to make room in the area because I’ve finished another book. Though it’s extremely rewarding to watch the section grow, sometimes I look back at the first books and realize, I don’t really even remember the characters’ names.

When that happens, I now have the luxury to be able to sit down, open up to that books page, read the plot summary, look at the rating out of 5 stars that I gave it (yes, I bought actual gold star stickers that I use for the rating), and then I get to read exactly how I felt about that particular novel.

If you’re a frequent reader, I highly recommend just trying it out. Even designing the pages and really exuding my impression of the vibe of the books onto the page with colors and drawings in addition to my thoughts is something that I get so much joy out of.

Happy reading!

Leah McElheny is a new Her Campus at SBU chapter member who plans to write about literature, movies, TV shows, and most things pop culture. Outside of Her Campus, Leah is a junior at St. Bonaventure University and is currently double majoring in Adolescent Education with an English concentration and English. She has worked with multiple school districts in the area tutoring and substitute teaching for middle school and elementary school. She currently works for the university as a writing tutor and a peer coach to a group of freshmen. In her free time, Leah enjoys dancing for the SBU dance team, reading, and watching movies. Her favorite books are "The Similars" and "The Pretenders", both by Rebecca Hanover. Her biggest personality trait is loving Harry Potter and she prides herself on being incredibly mediocre at all forms of trivia, other than Harry Potter trivia of course.