This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

We have all heard about the five love languages: words of affirmation, acts of service, quality time, physical touch, and receiving gifts. In both romantic and plutonic relationships, we give and receive according to these five concepts. They often say that you give out what you lack. For example, you may spend time caring for others (acts of service) but you spend little time on self-care. My love languages are physical touch and words of affirmation. Therefore, give me a hug, feed me, and tell me I am pretty (I’m pretty low maintenance).

Recently, I realized that some people in my life give gifts as a sign of love, and they are quite talented at it! Upon first glance, this love language may seem material or shallow, however, it is not about the gift itself, it is about the thought, time and effort put into it. My best friend was not able to visit me at college so she had my mom bring up a gift she put together. Inside the metallic pink bag was a card with perfect calligraphy that reads “hello fall.” I love cards as gifts, especially homemade ones. She also got me a decorative pumpkin for my dorm, Thanksgiving socks with the peanut characters on them, a self-help book I have been wanting to read, pastel gel highlighters and Reese’s peanut butter cups. The week before, she inconspicuously sent me the Amazon link to the highlighters because she said she wanted to purchase them for herself. Watch out for the gift givers because they are sneaky!

My sister is also someone who brings a gift to every occasion. She is incredibly crafty, up to date on decorative trends, practical, and genuinely listens to people in order to know what they like. My favorite packages I receive at college are the ones she sends because they are themed with the time of year, always have a note that gets me through the week, and they contain gifts I will eat or use. In addition, she always tries to find the best deals. My favorite thing is when I thank her for the gift she gave, and she says, “of course, those were 90 percent off!” It goes to show that gifts do not have to be expensive for them to be meaningful. Sometimes the best gifts are the ones made from random craft materials found around the house. My sister definitely got the DIY gene in the family because my Pinterest board ideas do not come to fruition as hers do.

There are a few things to keep in mind when gift-giving:

1. Less is more. It can be overwhelming and unnecessary to give someone an abundance of gifts. It takes away the value of the sentiment. Stick with one or two things that they have been wanting or made you think about them. Or simply write them a letter.
  2. Practical is the way to go. The best gifts are the ones that the person consistently uses. Water bottles, cozy sweatshirts, and fun socks are always the answer.
  3. It is the thought that counts. Simply thinking of that person while they are going through a difficult time, it is their birthday, or you just love them is more meaningful than anything money can ever buy.

Happy gifting!!

Kim Mitchell is a member of the SBU Her Campus chapter. This is her second year writing for the site. Kim covers advice and experience pertaining to college life and emotional well-being. She also covers popular media such as trending telivision shows and books. Kim is currently a senior at St.Bonaventure University. She is pursuing a bachelor of arts in psychology and a spanish minor with aspirations to attain a masters in clinical mental health counseling. When she is not writing you can find Kim singing in her church's worship band, outside enjoying nature, or curled up with a good book. She is always down to challenge you in a game of Mario Kart, knowing full well she will probably be in last place.