This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

School just started a few weeks ago. Maybe you’re already feeling stressed. Whether you have a light course load or a heavy one, it can be hard to keep up with it all. It’s easy to feel overloaded, especially when you have a job on campus, which takes up a decent amount of your time every week. Also, being an active member of clubs and extracurriculars can be a lot of work. Weekly meetings and preparation are always on the agenda.

Besides these responsibilities, you want to hang out with friends, spend time socializing and have fun. It’s hard to split time doing both. When you have assignments and responsibilities looming over you, it can be hard to make time for responsibilities and social life.

Finding the balance is hard. Time-management is a huge part of it. It’s important to come up with a system that allows you to stay on track with my academic life and other responsibilities, but still allow time to have fun.

Creating a to-do list and using a planner is a great way to stay organized. You can schedule work times into your day and set aside time for fun and socializing too.

Taking the time for breaks and having fun in between the assignments you’re working on can be a great way to balance your social and academic life. Going on walks, talking with friends and exercising are good ways to break up the assignments and projects you’re working on.

Getting in exercise is a great way to manage stress and improve your energy levels. Doing yoga or stretching is nice because you can relieve stress on your body from all the time you spend sitting at a desk doing homework. Going on runs is a good way to get in cardio. Taking a group exercise class is a great way to be social and make new friends while taking a break from assignments. Going to the gym is another way to break up the day and make time to care for your body.

Sometimes it can be easy to get a little too carried away on breaks. You may unintentionally spend way more time on a break than you should have. But it’s ok, don’t get too upset with yourself. Self-care and spending time with friends are super important.  

In college don’t put too much pressure on yourself. It’s okay to have fun. You will get your assignments done. Balance is the key. Don’t focus too heavily on one or the other. Making time to do your work correctly and responsibly is important, but so is making time for friends and having fun.

Hi!! I'm Kelsey and I'm a senior strategic communication major at St. Bonaventure University. I love reading, writing, listening to podcasts and walking!