This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

Picture me, at 16, discovering what I want to do for the rest of my life.

Considering that at the current time of writing, I am only 19, my ambition is subject to change. But in the three years I have continued to pursue and make advancements in my career of journalism, I have loved almost everything about the field.

Though I did not start learning much about the technical side of journalism until I reached college, I have always been quite the storyteller, which, after all, is the quintessential part of being a journalist.

Before I could even hold a pencil, I was crafting stories daily. Though some were a bit far-fetched, like a giraffe going to the grocery store or vegetables swimming in the lake, they were great stories with compelling plots and well-developed characters. I would talk while my dad scribbled down each word. Everyone loved them and they often earned their place on the fridge in the kitchen.

My next triumph in storytelling came much later. In sixth grade, I won a scary story contest. I don’t think a lot of people entered the contest, so I probably wasn’t fighting any future thriller novelists. But it was still a great moment for me. It was the first time my writing received recognition from people who weren’t obligated to tell me it was good (cough, cough – my parents).  

I worked through the rest of middle school and half of high school but didn’t really make anymore big advancements towards a career of journalism. Sure, I was still a great storyteller and my work showed that, but I never imagined a career for myself doing that. Up until the second semester of my junior year of high school, I was dead set on becoming an occupational therapist.

Which is crazy because I don’t like helping people.

Obviously, I’m kidding. But as I have gotten to know myself better over the years, I have realized that I would have been miserable in school if I had pursued that career path.

So, what changed my mind? How did I make the jump from occupational therapy to journalism?

Keith Pedzich.

Mr. Pedzich was my junior year English teacher and the man I credit with helping me discover my passion for journalism. He gave us an assignment in the second half of the year in which we had to interview someone. We could interview anyone we wanted about anything we wanted. So I chose to interview my mom about being a teacher during the pandemic.

I loved that assignment. The whole process was a lot of fun. Brainstorming questions, actually interviewing my mom, choosing an angle, fitting everything together – I loved it all.

But after I turned the assignment in, I got busy with other things and forgot how much I loved it. Until he handed our papers back.

“Delainey, allow me to gush for a second. You have a real knack for this. Have you ever considered pursuing a career in journalism? I was moved by your description of your mother’s perseverance and kindness throughout a difficult time. Well done.”

That was all I needed. The push from someone else who saw something in me that I couldn’t see myself. After that journalism was the plan.

Once I arrived at St. Bonaventure University for my freshman year, I wasted no time becoming an active journalist. I joined Her Campus and started writing stories about whatever came to mind. I applied for an internship at a real newspaper a few towns over and got the job.

The Villager newspaper in Ellicottville has taught me a lot. I have learned how to deal with difficult interviewees as well as difficult coworkers. I have learned better time management skills and how to be a better listener. Before my first interview, which was over the phone, I was freaking out. I called my mom and asked her for help. I took anxiety spray I had lying around. I was a wreck. Now I don’t do that anymore. When I have to interview someone, I call them with confidence. I listen to their questions and easily respond with a follow up question or comment.

At the beginning of my second year of college, I joined TAPinto Greater Olean, an online publication for local news. This internship is where I learned how to interview people in person. I had to cover a wine tasting event at the local library. I was freaking out before this too. Talking to people in person? I hate doing that. But I had to get over my fear and it turned out to be super easy. Most of the time, people are super nice and they want to be helpful. I have covered a few more in-person events since then and found I am more confident when walking up to people and asking them for a comment.

I can’t wait to see what the future holds for me in my career of journalism. It is crazy to look back and see how far I have come and how much I have changed in just a few years. I think about how different my life would look if I had never discovered journalism and my talent for it. I’m thankful to all the mentors, teachers, and friends I have had along the way that have helped me get to where I am.

I am most thankful to my parents who read to me every night when I was little. Who wrote down my stories as I talked. Who let me use them as subjects in a story. Who encouraged me and supported me through everything I have ever wanted to do. I would be nowhere without them.

Delainey Muscato is a junior journalism major with philosophy and sociology minors. This year she is excited to be the brand deal manager, assistant events planner, and senior editor for the SBU chapter of Her Campus. In her weekly article for Her Campus, she usually writes about her personal experiences at college, as an intern, or just in life. Delainey is excited for her second year as a member of Her Campus and can’t wait to help new members be just as engaged in the club as her. Outside of Her Campus, Delainey is a very active journalist. She writes for a newspaper in Ellicottville, The Villager. These articles typically detail local events or highlight people in the area. She also just began writing for Tap into Greater Olean. This news site covers stories directly rooted in the Olean and Allegany area. This summer, Delainey spent five weeks studying abroad is Sorrento, Italy. In her free time, Delainey loves to spend time with her friends and family. She spends a lot of time reading on her porch at home. Delainey also loves to take her dog Nella on walks. Her favorite TV shows are The Office and Friends. Her favorite movie is Ferris Bueller’s Day Off. She also loves music and spends a lot of time discovering new music and perfecting her playlists. www.linkedin.com/in/delainey-muscato-b10134282