Talking Fashion with Simone Robinson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

Hometown: Brooklyn, NY

Major: Journalism & mass communication

Year: Senior

Her Campus: “What activities are you involved in at Bonaventure?”

Simone Robinson: “The Bonaventure Newspaper.”

HC: “You have an awesome fashion and lifestyle blog called ‘Prime Butterfly.’ How did you come up with that name? Also, tell us a little bit about it.” SR: “Thank you!

I chose butterfly for part of the name, because butterflies have been an important symbol in my life. The stages of the butterfly, particularly, have definitely been reflective of my journey as a blogger too, because I started out extremely shy and private (Caccoon) and now I’ve morphed into a social butterfly, who’s unapologetic about using my voice and initiating a conversation, especially at fashion events I attend.

My blog is a medium of self-expression for me, so I write about my personal style, travel experiences and as well as trends and issues in the fashion industry.”

HC: “Do you have any fashion icons or other blogs that you follow?”

SR: “Currently, my fashion muses are Solange Knowles, Zendaya Coleman, Lupita Nyong’o and Bella Hadid.

My favorite blogger and YouTuber of all time is Shirley B. Eniang, from Shirleyswardrobe.com. I’ve been following since I was a junior in high school, because I just love her style, which is very minimalist and classic.”

HC: “How would you describe your sense of style?”

SR: “I would say that right now my style is very experimental. I’m definitely 50% tomboy and 50% girly girl, so I love to add edgy masculine pieces and feminine elements to my looks. For every day, I typically gravitate towards basic colors, especially camel and black, which are my signature colors, but I’ve been trying to play with bolder colors and prints.”

HC: “What are some of your favorite fashion pieces that you’re looking forward to wearing this fall and winter?”

SR: “Definitely, my black leather jacket from H&M, my black thigh high boots and my DIY Yeezy Sock Heels, which were inspired by @thenuvogue DIY tutorial on Instagram.”

Here’s the link if you’re interested: https://www.instagram.com/p/BLZ6PNJAHd7/?taken-by=thenuvogue

HC: “You also have your own makeup YouTube channel! Tell us a little bit about that. What are your go-to products right now?”

SR: “My YouTube channel incorporates both fashion and beauty, and I typically post fashion lookbooks, makeup tutorials for beginners, travel vlogs and my coverage of fashion events.

To be honest, I don’t really invest a lot of money into makeup, since I don’t wear it unless I’m going out, which is a rare sight. I’ve pretty much used the same products for years, so my go-to products are my Mac Studio Fix foundation, Covergirl contour palette and my favorite lipstick, Mac’s Ruby Woo.”

HC: “Who or what inspires you?”

SR: “In terms of celebrities, I am very inspired by Sade Adu, because I think she’s the epitome of beauty, grace and artistic creativity.”

HC: “Do you have any plans once you graduate? Do you plan on going into fashion?”

SR: “My biggest plan is to move out of Brooklyn with my family. I’m not exactly sure where I want to go, but hopefully, its somewhere hot and as vibrant as NYC.

I plan on becoming a documentarist and photographer, so I would love to cover both fashion and social issues through those mediums.

My dream job is to be a correspondent for Vice or Noisey, but if that doesn’t work out, I’d love to create my own online newspaper and radio station!”

HC: “Do you have any advice for someone who is interested in creating his or her own fashion blog or YouTube channel?”

SR: “Having a blog and YouTube channel requires passion and self-sufficiency, so definitely, be yourself, focus on a topic that you truly love to talk about and be open to learning new skills. Connect with local creatives by attending fashion events and workshops, which you can find on Eventbrite.com, or simply reach out to them via email!”

St. Bonaventure University Journalism & Mass Communication and Strategic Communications & Digital Media double major. I'm from Binghamton, New York and SBU's Her Campus senior editor. My life is like my hair– messy and uncontrollable.
I'm a Junior Strategic Communications major at Saint Bonaventure University, also known as the greatest place on earth. Hobbies include eating ridiculous amounts of food, watching Scandal and swimming. I'm probably wearing converse.