This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

Living in the Northeast my entire life, I am no stranger to the dreaded Daylight Savings Time. Each year, we switch our clocks and lifestyles to account for months of darkness. As a child, this never used to phase me. It meant more nights making snow forts outside. It meant playing in the woods as soft snow fell from the dark sky. 

As a college student, it means something completely different. I feel that I need two energy drinks to get through the day. No matter how much sleep I get, the early sunset leaves me feeling chronically tired. I miss my days of summer. 

Being a college student during this time is no easy feat. It normally implies final exams, exhaustion, burnout and anxious anticipation to return home for the holidays. Though this isn’t most people’s favorite time of the year, here are some tips to make it slightly more bearable:

1.) maximize daylight

During Daylight Savings, it’s important to be extra mindful of soaking in natural daylight. I know it’s not particularly ideal to enjoy outdoor activities when it’s this cold, but even a simple five-minute walk during a lunch break can do wonders. In addition, working near windows and natural lighting can help reap the benefits of sunshine. 

2.) move your body

This may be the hardest one on the list. When it’s cold and dark at 5 p.m. now, I simply want to curl up in bed. While some nights may call for this, moving your body will always leave you feeling good. One of my favorite sayings is “The hardest part is just getting started”. I find once I manage to get on a cute gym outfit and put on a pump-up playlist, I can brave the five-minute walk to the gym. And the endorphin rush always feels amazing.  

3.) Gratitude

It’s easy to fall into a slump during the winter months. Prioritizing time for yourself is key. Despite the bad weather, try to engage in hobbies and activities that bring you joy. In addition, remind yourself that the dreary weather is only temporary. I try to start each day thinking of what I am thankful for and listening to my favorite music, regardless of the gray weather.  

4.) Switching up routines

These months can seem uninspiring. If we do the same thing every single day, these months will mundanely drag on. Try incorporating new activities into your routine and experiment with doing things at different times. Find a new study spot, a new workout routine, or maybe try doing productive tasks earlier rather than later. 

Katie is a social media executive for Her Campus at St. Bonaventure University. Her experience with social media, advertising, and writing allow her to combine her passions and advance her university's chapter of HC. She has been a part of Her Campus since freshman year. It has been her favorite on-campus extracurricular to become involved with. Katie is a second-year student studying Strategic Communication and Marketing. She finds joy in being involved on campus through various organizations including Her Campus, Jandoli Women in Communication, and College Democrats. She is Vice President of SBU's Freshman Leadership Program. She is also a full-time student ambassador who enthusiastically leads tours for prospective students. (Request her as your tour guide!) In her free time, you can find Katie reading, hiking, and laughing with her friends. She loves spending time outdoors, especially in the fall. Her guilty pleasures are copious amounts of (iced) coffee and country music. Some of her favorite artists include Chris Stapleton, Fleetwood Mac, and Luke Combs. Katie will eagerly engage in any conversation about her beloved hometown, Buffalo, New York. She will likely attempt to convert you to become a Buffalo Bills fan, and could talk about Josh Allen for hours. Post-grad, Katie hopes to be using her creative talents towards a fulfilling career in the world of advertising.