Silver Wolves of Service at Bonaventure with Colleen Corey

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

Name: Colleen Corey

Hometown: Mendon, NY

Year: Junior

Major: Marketing

Her Campus: “What do you like to do in your free time?”

Colleen Corey: “I enjoy running, reading, travelling, and adventuring outdoors with my pals. I also love hanging with my dog, Frankie, and eating ice cream and soup (not together).”

HC: “What kind of work do you do with the elderly?”

CC: “Our program is called Silver Wolves. We visit the local assisted living home, Eden Heights, 3 or more times a month. While we are visiting, we chat and spend time with the residents. Some of our favorite activities to do together include: singing carols/songs, playing games, and doing crafts. The residents love telling us their stories and hearing about all of us as students. Many are Bonaventure Alumni and they are always telling us stories of when they were in college and they love hearing about what we are doing academically and out of the classroom.

We also spend time in the Memory Care Unit of Eden Heights. Sometimes this is more difficult to do. However, we have had some really exceptional times in the Memory Care Unit painting pumpkins, coloring, and singing songs. My goal for this year is to do more activities with the Memory Care Unit because of the special connection made when working on a project with the residents.”

HC: “When did you start this club?”

CC: “I started Silver Wolves in the fall of 2015.”

HC: “What is something you wish people understood about working with the elder, perhaps with so many misconnections?”

CC: “I wish students would understand that there are amazing connections that can be made from listening and opening up to the elderly. The stories that are told from the residents are very special and definitely worth taking the time to sit down with them. Many times, people our age are apprehensive to reach out to the elderly and spend time with them. However, they all were once our age and they have gone through SO much and they are willing to tell you all about it!”

HC: “What is something that you think people of our generation could gain from working with the elderly, or something that you have gained?”

CC: “I think something our generation could gain from working with the elderly is that there is always a spot for compassion for people of all ages. Always show kindness, care and love for people even if they may not understand who you are, what you are doing there, or why you are there. The residents always show gratitude even if it is just a simple smile, ‘thank you,’ hug or handshake.

HC: “What has been one of your great interactions working with them?”

CC: “One of my greatest interactions with the residents of Eden Heights is learning how to care for people of all ages and how to learn from their past experiences. Hearing their stories has taught me more than I have ever imagined!”

HC: “Didn’t you recently celebrate a dog’s birthday at their home?”

CC: “Yes! We celebrated Rebel’s birthday. Rebel is a 10-year-old Golden Retriever who has been visiting Eden Heights since he was a puppy. The residents are OBSESSED with Rebel, so they wanted to throw a banger for him! The party included music, cake, presents, and very happy residents, students and a dog. J”

HC: “What is your favorite thing about Bonaventure?”

CC: “My favorite thing about Bonaventure is the community that the students and university have created. Everyone is always ready to come together as a student body to participate in activities, service and events!”

Photo Credit: Colleen Corey

I'm a Junior Strategic Communications major at Saint Bonaventure University, also known as the greatest place on earth. Hobbies include eating ridiculous amounts of food, watching Scandal and swimming. I'm probably wearing converse.