This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

Remember that app called Vine where you had to find ways to be creative or funny in six-second video that plays in a loop? Well, Twitter, Vine’s parent company, has announced that in coming months Vine will be shutting down as part of the company’s financial reform.

The three-year-old will be part of the cut as Twitter is cutting nine percent of its workforce. People have shared a variety of Vines in the past, including racy vines, funny vines and more serious toned ones. Most of the Vines placed for the world to see were homemade. It was like an app that was just filled with America’s Home Videos, but of course, not just American.

Many millennials remember when Vine first hit the scene, causing the Internet to be flooded with these new styled homemade videos of only six seconds long.

Some people became “famous” through Vine, such as King Bach, whose success on the app as a comedian landed him a role on the Showtime series House of Lies. Other people who became “Vine famous” are Viners Jerome Jarre, Jessi Smiles, Alx James, Curtis Lepore, KC James, Jordan Burt and Nash Grier.

And there were topical vines posted by Politico and news agencies, some leaving a link to news stories and others spreading something funny that happened on live television.

Overall, Vine was just another form of social media that many enjoyed.

But then there was a downfall in viewers as apps such as Snapchat became more popular and people began to stop using and watching Vines as often.

Twitter and Vine want the users to know, though, that all the Vines that have been made, will still be up online for the world to enjoy, as they believe that the creativity, time and effort put into the Vines shouldn’t have been created all for naught. So, when you want to be see a baby laughing, cool editing skills or something to laugh at, you still can! People can no longer post Vines, though.

The company stated that users of the service will be notified before any big changes are made, so stay tuned. 

I'm a Junior Strategic Communications major at Saint Bonaventure University, also known as the greatest place on earth. Hobbies include eating ridiculous amounts of food, watching Scandal and swimming. I'm probably wearing converse.