etsy animal print hair clip?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etsy animal print hair clip?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Photo via Etsy

Reemerging Fashion Trends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

Recently, a lot of old fashion trends have been reemerging among the younger generations. A lot of trends from the ’90s and early 2000s are coming back. Gen Z has decided to rock some older fashion staples. These fashion trends go viral on TikTok, people start purchasing these items, and they go mainstream. Lots of trends end up being sold in major retailers such as Forever 21, Target and H&M.

Claw Clip:

These clips first started selling back in 1989. They were sold in many prints and patterns. Iconic characters such as Rachel Green from “Friends,” were seen sporting these clips. Claw clips were sold in drug stores, and were still available before the resurgence of popularity.

When they went viral on TikTok, people were showing off the easy hairstyles they could do without using ponytail holders. These clips also came in a variety of patterns, colors, shapes and sizes. More variety was added with reemerging styles of clips.

Yoga Pants:

Back in the ’90s, yoga pants were very popular. They were leggings that flared at the bottom and had extra fabric around the waist that folded over the waistband.

Now, there is a slightly different version of yoga pants that is extremely popular among Gen Z. The flare pants are very similar to yoga pants. They are leggings with flared bottoms, but the difference is that most of them do not have the fold-over waistband.

Aerie, a sister brand of American Eagle, is known for its flare leggings. They sell different versions of the pants including cross-over flares, which have fabric that crosses over the waistline in an x shape, twist flares that twist in a little knot at the waistline and fold-over flares which are very similar to yoga pants since they have fabric that can fold over the waistline.

They are also available in different materials, such as regular spandex or nylon legging material, cotton, ribbed fabric, waffle fabric and more.

Track Suits:

In many iconic ’90s and early 2000’s movies, such as “The Cheetah Girls,” people wore velour tracksuits. These tracksuits came in many vibrant colors. Girls would wear their Juicy Couture tracksuits everywhere.

Gen Z has brought these tracksuits back into fashion. The Gen Z take on the tack suits seems to be a cropped zip-up, with matching flared bottoms. A lot of the suits are in more pastel colors, but there still are vibrant ones that are more reminiscent of the ’90s suits.

Low-Rise Jeans:

Low-rise jeans were a fashion trend of the ’90s and early 2000s. Celebrities such as wearing them to premieres and red carpet events.

Today, low-rise jeans and other pants are coming back in style. Some choose to wear them with heavily cropped shirts, like Julia Fox. The low-rise trend is not for everyone, some do feel uncomfortable showing too much skin. But others confidently rock the reemerging trend.

Many fashion trends have gone out of style but have come back into style. The use of TikTok to spread popularity and the availability of thrift stores have contributed to the remerging fashion trends.

Hi!! I'm Kelsey and I'm a senior strategic communication major at St. Bonaventure University. I love reading, writing, listening to podcasts and walking!