This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

After a year of treatment, I have finished Accutane, a prescription for my cystic acne. I will not miss the monthly bloodwork and never-ending appointments. My skin is still far from perfect, as I am learning to live with the long-term effects of acne scars and rosacea. Nonetheless, I am excited to be off of medication and take back control of my own skincare routine. 

While on Accutane, most skincare is a no-go. I was only permitted to use a gentle cleanser and moisturizer. No serums, scrubs, or sprays. The medicine is so strong and intense that it should not be mixed with most skin products. Now that I am done with my pills, I can begin to re-explore products that will be gentle enough to nurture my skin post-treatment, while still keeping acne and oil at bay. For the twelve months without skincare, I fantasized about the days I could return to the skin care aisle of Sephora and purchase products to try. I began Pinterest boards and internet searches to find products I could experiment with as soon as I was done with the medicine. And that time is now! Below is a list of skincare products that I am dying to try in the next few months: 

1.) Topicals faded serum

This product came up on my Instagram feed and received stellar reviews. Its key ingredients of kojic acid, niacinamide, and azelaic acid soothe discoloration and dark circles on skin. I am hoping it will calm my hyperpigmentation. 

2.) snail mucin

I never imagined that I would desire to put snail secretions on my face voluntarily. This latest skincare trend is getting buzz for its efficacy at fortifying the skin’s natural barrier while hydrating. The viral COSRX Snail 96 Spray is at the top of my Christmas list. 

3.) Sulfur Soap

Sulfur is a popular ingredient in treating acne for its anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. If I see my skin begin to flare up again, I will be purchasing a bar of sulfur soap to wash my face with. 

4.) eye serum

Though I couldn’t do anything about it during Accutane, I’m ready to tackle my dark undereye circles. After hours of being down a YouTube rabbit hole, I have learned that caffeine is the most effective active ingredient in eye products. This should be no issue, as I already have a caffeine addiction (HA!) I plan on ordering the Versed Vacation Eyes Gel. 

5.) retinol

Yes, I’m still a teenager technically. But, no, it’s never too early to think about keeping your skin young and vibrant. Retinol (in small quantities) is recommended for patients post-accutane to get their “sparkle back.” Sign me up! 

6. anything from the inkey list

All of my favorite influencers swear by this brand. I’m obsessed with the minimalist packaging and the commitment to high-quality ingredients. 

Katie is a social media executive for Her Campus at St. Bonaventure University. Her experience with social media, advertising, and writing allow her to combine her passions and advance her university's chapter of HC. She has been a part of Her Campus since freshman year. It has been her favorite on-campus extracurricular to become involved with. Katie is a second-year student studying Strategic Communication and Marketing. She finds joy in being involved on campus through various organizations including Her Campus, Jandoli Women in Communication, and College Democrats. She is Vice President of SBU's Freshman Leadership Program. She is also a full-time student ambassador who enthusiastically leads tours for prospective students. (Request her as your tour guide!) In her free time, you can find Katie reading, hiking, and laughing with her friends. She loves spending time outdoors, especially in the fall. Her guilty pleasures are copious amounts of (iced) coffee and country music. Some of her favorite artists include Chris Stapleton, Fleetwood Mac, and Luke Combs. Katie will eagerly engage in any conversation about her beloved hometown, Buffalo, New York. She will likely attempt to convert you to become a Buffalo Bills fan, and could talk about Josh Allen for hours. Post-grad, Katie hopes to be using her creative talents towards a fulfilling career in the world of advertising.