Culture > News

Play Like a Girl: Behind the Toni Harris Super Bowl LIII Toyota Ad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

The future of football is female. Yes, you heard me right: Football. Trust me, the strong females of this world are never going to hold back when it comes to chasing their dreams, even if that means playing in the NFL.

While browsing around on Google for the latest gossip about the Super Bowl, I came across Toni Harris. Harris is 22 years old, and a sophomore at East Los Angeles College. She is originally from Detroit, where her ambition to become the first female NFL player began.

Reading about Harris’ story automatically inspired me and I knew I wanted to share it with all of you. In particular, her perseverance is what really struck me. Throughout her entire life, she faced the challenge of listening to people tell her that what she was passionate about was wrong and that she should be more “feminine.” Those voices, plus her experiences as a foster child and a cancer survivor, never stopped her from pursuing her dreams.

Starting off fighting for her position on her high school football team, Harris now plays as a free safety on her college team after receiving a full scholarship to do so. Even more impressive, she will be featured in a Toyota advertisement tomorrow during the Superbowl in an effort to illustrate the idea of breaking stereotypes.

Overall, Harris wants to send a message to young girls out there who need hope to keep their own dreams alive. With that said, never let assumptions hold you back from doing what makes you happy, because spreading inspiration and hope will always prove to be worth it.

Article by Samantha Garretson

Buffalo native, creative by nature.