This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

A period is a monthly occurrence that happens to all females at various ages of their life for various amounts of days. For everyone reading, I used the word “female” instead of “women” because the term “female” deals with your anatomy, while the term “women” deals with your gender orientation. Periods only occur in people who are born with a uterus and fallopian tubes. Having your period can be difficult for a lot of us, so here are a few hacks and tips to stock up on.

Feeling a bit irritated right before, on, or after your period? Try smiling a bit more; it tricks the mind into believing you are in a happy mood. Also, pack a small bag with some things that keep you calm and relaxed. I like to pack a snack bag that has chocolate, mini cheese balls, an extra pair of headphones, and a list of movies/shows I like to watch.

If cramps are your worst nightmare, don’t worry I have some suggestions to help relieve them. Try taking Midol, Excedrin, or any caffeine-based over-the-counter medication because caffeine tends to suppress cramping. Plus, you can try doing yoga or some stretches because they help relax your body and elevate your uterus. Lastly, you can try masturbation. Yes, I know it’s weird to dittle your skittles while on your period, however, by doing so you release chemicals like dopamine, oxytocin, serotonin, and endorphins. These chemicals help you feel happy and relieved, helping to put you to sleep if your cramps are keeping you up.

If you don’t know when you’re getting your period, always pack a small bag full with tampons, pads, medicine, wipes, extra underwear, and a tide pen. These are essentials because a clean pair of underwear and a tide pen will come in handy if blood leaks through your clothes, wipes will keep you fresh, and tampons/pads and medicine are obvious musts. Try including one of these emergency kits in every bag you use so that you never have to worry about forgetting it.

Types of food that are the best to eat on your period are almonds, apples, artichokes, beans, black berries, and chia seeds because they are all high in fiber, which helps your digestive track run smoothly. Chocolate is also good to eat, especially dark chocolate, because it is sweet and contains potassium and antioxidants. Caffeinated beverages and foods are good as well, just try not to over do it because you could get a migraine when you stop consuming them, due to a withdraw effect.

Just a marketing major that stepped out of NYC to continue her passion for Rugby and extending her education. A fun-loving, fashionista, activist in the middle of nowhere just expressing herself.
As an honors student of St. Bonaventure University, it is my objective to pursue a career that will complement my passion for working with people, my dedication to exceeding goals, and my motivation to innovate. The industries that I hope to make a difference in are fashion, media, and business.