An Open Letter to My High School Best Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

While here at college, a lot of things are different from life in my beach hometown of New Jersey. Some things I miss more than others, such as seeing the beach on my way to school, going to my favorite restaurants and coffee shops and being able to just drive around.

There is something that is at the top of my list of things I miss, and those are my two best friends. Actually they are not really friends, but more like family. I miss being able to hop in my car and be at my friends’ houses between three and 15 minutes. Now that we are all in college obviously things are different, but some things remain the same. From time to time I reminisce on the things that have happened in my past that have contributed to who I am today. To me, they’re both leading factors in this and sometimes I’m not sure if they are aware of this.

A little flashback to our first day of high school when we all sat in the same homeroom and didn’t bother to even talk to each other. Who would’ve thought that we would be where we are today? To be honest, I’m not quite sure any of us did. The three of us have grown extremely close over the years, and this is something that I am very grateful for.

Graduation is a moment that every high school student anticipates throughout what may seem like the longest four years of their lives. Looking back to when I was a freshman in high school everyone always said, “It goes by in the blink of an eye!” Before I knew it the day had come for a chapter to end and a new chapter to begin. At graduation I was lucky enough to have been squished next to my two best friends, and I wouldn’t have wanted it any other way!

Now we find ourselves at three different colleges in three distant states. Yes, we are technically still a drive away from each other but now it is more like five and a half hours rather than a quick drive in the car. We do get to talk to each other almost every day, but things are a little different here in the college world. We Skype each other from time to time, which honestly gets me through any week, or even day. We try to make things work even though we each have completely distinct and crazy schedules. I just wanted to take this time to thank you both for a couple of things, not only because we are nearing Thanksgiving and it seems very fitting but also because I miss you guys most more than anything!

Thank you both for always picking up the phone, answering a text, accepting a Skype or FaceTime call no matter what time of day. Sometimes it is just really nice to hear a familiar voice once in a while and to talk about pointless things with someone who truly understands the real you. Thanks for listening to me talk about the same thing all the time and acting like you don’t mind because you know it means a lot to me. But also thanks for listening to me rant, giving me advice, always supporting me in whatever I do and for letting me know that you are always just a phone call away when I need anything.

Thank you for bringing me laughter and good memories to look back on. Thank you for helping me to realize that the ordinary things are actually extraordinary. After a long week of classes, or just a rough day, it’s nice to think back to all of the stupid and funny times that we had together. They may have seemed like a dumb idea at the time but now they really help me to get through the week. I really miss driving to the mall, getting ice cream, baking banana bread, or even doing completely nothing with the both of you. You always made the boring things more interesting and sometimes I wish you could do that in some of my classes. Whenever I get bored I love looking back on pictures that we have of each other and remembering what the circumstance was that went along with that moment.

Thank you for knowing when something is wrong. Thank you for paying attention to me even from far away. You always know when something is wrong, even if it is just through text and the way I am replying to messages. You are both always very attentive to what is currently going on in my life and are constantly checking up on me. This is something that I am very thankful for and is what makes you two very special and just like family.

Thank you for accepting who I am. Thank you for accepting who I am and all that this entails. Thanks for understanding that I am not anything close to perfect. Thanks for allowing me to be myself no matter what, whether this means jamming out to Taylor Swift in the car, supporting me in my love of Starbucks and shopping and everything else in between. You are both so very supportive in everything that I do and this allows me to be myself more than ever.

Thank you for giving me something to look forward to. These days things can get very hectic in a short period of time. Whether it is just a busy day or a busy week ahead of me, I always try to find something to get my mind off of things. I always look forward to the next time that I will see the both of you. Even if I don’t get to see you both for long it is still a time that I cherish. Thank you for making leaving so hard, as strange as that sounds. Thanks for giving me something that I love going back home for!

“Dear best friends, I honestly don’t know what I would do without you!”

But most of all thanks for being the best friends that a girl could ask for!

Jersey Girl. Coffee Lover. Fashionista Photographer. Loves traveling to Paris and plans to live there one day.
A junior at St. Bonaventure University majoring in Journalism/Mass Communications and French. She can always be found with a Dunkin Donuts iced coffee in hand, at the gym attempting to do yoga, or binge watching Grey's Anatomy with Ben&Jerry's. You can follow her on twitter @emilyrosman or on Instagram emilyrosman.