Not Your Family Vacation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

Going on vacation is always a fun time, especially when you get to go with friends or even your significant other. However, when going away with someone, you have to realize that they most likely don’t do things the way that you’re used to. This became a reality for me when I went away on vacation with my boyfriend’s family. We went on a Royal Caribbean cruise to the Caribbean in January. Don’t get me wrong, we had a blast the whole time. We all made unforgettable memories with each other and other guests on the boat. Nonetheless, there were more than a few times where I questioned some of the things they did.

One of those things, for the most part, was that they always wanted to be with us. I remember going away with my family on past cruises and my parents signed me up for the kids’ club and went off and did their own thing (which is totally fine and actually better because we all get freedom). They also hung out with us every night which was fun and different because we went to shows, drank some wine and enjoyed ourselves.

They are also very outdoorsy which is different from my family. My family would much rather lay at the beach and tan all day, while they like doing hikes, zip lining, and looking at historical things. I definitely had to get out of my comfort zone for a few things but it made me grow and learn some new things about myself. For my future self, I learned to ALWAYS bring bug spray. I was scared of bugs before and I learned that I still am! Regardless, these adventures they took me on were fun and opened new doors for me.

Overall, going on vacation with a family that isn’t yours will stress you out, make you angry, make you laugh, and allow you to experience new things – which is what life is about. So, if you’re nervous about traveling with new people, embrace it and make the most of it.

cheese pizza fanatic
Pittsburgh native, coffee lover, reading enthusiust