This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

While it seems I am still lightyears away from graduation, I tend to be a worrier. I am not sure how, or why, but it tends to ground me in some masochistic way. If I worry about it, maybe it gives me a little bit of control over the unpredictable (note: this is not true, but try telling me that). As I look ahead to graduation with the most bittersweet outlook possible, here are my top five fears. 

A Solid Job 

• I have an extremely niche major. I did this by design, but my anxious outlook now has me regretting this choice at times. My major is Communication, Social Justice & Advocacy with minors in theology and political science (a beautiful mouthful, huh). My dream would be to do communications or PR event planning for a Catholic political organization. Really, really niche. While I still have hope that this will be possible in the future, there’s about a 1% chance of this happening as my first job post-grad. It just isn’t realistic. While I am grounded in this, I still want to fall in love with whatever job I do end up in (or at least have a job at all). I would love to have money and enjoy making it. 

Losing Friends

• I don’t fear that I will actually lose friends per say, but maybe more the college routine of friendship. Friendship in college is particularly intimate. Not having sisters, I deeply latched onto friendships throughout college. I know we will all still talk after graduation, but, naturally, it cannot be exactly same. Friendship is never easy, but proximity (aka, in the same apartment) certainly does not make it harder. I know our deep sisterhood will go deeper than the many miles we are apart, this will be the first time, besides summers apart, we will be much more separated. It will be hard to not feel as if will be replacing my college friends with people who can physically be there for the “everyday”. 

A Place to Live

• My current question: how can I live in Washington D.C and Cheektowaga at the same time? No, seriously. I have no idea where I truly want to live. My internship in NYC was a dream, but I can’t see myself there full time. Financially, the best decision may be to live at home, but if I go back, while I stay in New Jersey forever due to comfort? Perhaps. While not my worst fear, staying in Jersey may burn a hole in my pocket and my dreams. Who knows? This really depends on a job, but imaging a new place to live in is scary. Am I going to live alone (/afford it)? Should I look for roommates? How would I even do that without Bumble Friends? I digress. 

Creating New “Wins” 

• For so long, we have been benchmarked by grade levels. Graduating 4th, 8th and senior years of school along with college graduation are, of course, huge milestones. When I enter the workforce, good things will still happen, but less of these “automatic” achievements will occur. I want to work hard to create my own celebrations that are not tied to my career performance. Additionally, GPA’s and grades will not be coming out once a semester. It will be up to me to find this validation elsewhere in my career. 

Hobbies 

• Right now my main hobbies are writing, watching Tik Tok and hanging out with my friends (with the very occasional read if I am in the mood). I also enjoy a nice river trail walk, but that is pretty Bonaventure specific. Once I graduate, I expect my routines to change. I want to (and will be forced to) create new hobbies. While I think I will always write, I hope to distance myself from Tik Tok a bit and find activities that help me to meet new people (in a less scary way than at the Burton). 

This article seems very doom and gloom, I won’t lie. That’s because fear is doom and gloom! Despite this, I am going to soak up my last three semesters at Bonaventure and look forward to graduation with the lens of opportunity. 

Claire Fisher is the co-campus correspondent for the St. Bonaventure Her Campus chapter. She is responsible for chapter recruitment communications, editing of weekly articles, general managing of chapter logistics and even implemented a once-a-year print issue of HC at SBU. Claire is currently a third-year student studying Communication, Social Justice & Advocacy with focus on theology and political science. Aside from Her Campus, Claire currently serves as co-president of Jandoli Women in Communication, passionate about representation in the media field, and is a student reporter for PolitiFact NY. Lastly, she is a content creator and the communications officer for St. Bonaventure College Democrats. In her time away from academics, Claire loves to go hiking on local trails and enjoys talking about her love of music. She is an avid Spotify user, and will engage in any conversation regarding Meg March.