This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

I’m sure you’ve all seen the trend on TiKToK about men and their obsession with the Roman Empire.

Well I’m going to tell you about MY Roman Empire: The 2005 movie master piece, Pride and Prejudice.

Anyone who knows me knows I’m OBSESSED with this movie. When I’m watching it you can hear me from miles away talking at the TV, telling them to “JUST KISS!”, quoting lines, or physically cringing at Mr. Collins.

This movie put me on track to being a period drama enthusiast, and now those movies make up most of my watch list.

Before you read, just know there may be some spoilers for the movie if you haven’t watched, however, this story has been public knowledge since the 1800s, so, really, how much can I be spoiling?

Now, without further ado, let me break down the specific parts of this movie that live in my brain 24/7:

THE SOUNDTRACK

Dario Marianelli and Jean-Yves Thibaudetand are responsible for the music in this movie and, let me just say, they popped off. The piano, the strings, it was just perfect at setting the mood. I would say it’s an excellent studying playlist, but I always get to daydreaming about a certain 19th century man when it plays, so I can’t really say its made me very productive.

“WHAT EXCELLENT BOILED POTATOES”

Mr. Collins makes me physically recoil every time he’s on screen, but this scene, comedic genius. Whenever I see some potatoes I have to fight the urge to say this out loud.

THE AWKWARDNESS THAT IS MR. DARCY

I LOVE Mr. Darcy, and one of the reasons I love him so much is because he’s just an awkward guy like the rest of us. The scene when he’s the only one who stands up for Lizzy when she comes to visit Jane, or when he randomly bursts into the Collins’s Cottage to talk to Lizzy and says barely anything, that’s true comedy to me. He’s an introvert king, how can you not love him.

LIZZY’S MIC DROP MOMENT

Lizzy is one of my favorite characters in all of literature. Sometimes I see a bit of myself in her, but most times I only aspire to be like her. She’s funny, smart, compassionate, and best of all, she’s not afraid to speak her mind. One scene in particular always sticks with me. It’s just after Lizzy had been rejected to dance by Mr. Darcy and then overheard him insult her appearance. He then ask’s her in a group conversation what the best way to encourage affection is, and she says, “dancing, even if ones partner is barely tolerable” then walks away. WHAT A QUEEN!

THE PROPOSAL SCENES

One thing about Mr. Darcy is he’s always going to pick the most dramatic way to confess his love for you. Pardon me, how he “ardently admires and loves” you, or perhaps that you have “bewitched him body and soul.” I don’t know about you, but if Mr. Darcy chased after me in the pouring rain to a gazebo in order to tell me how strong his love for me was, I think I’d fold. But, thankfully, Lizzy had the foresight to see that Mr. Darcy walking through a field with a billowing cape at dawn was something we needed to see.

THE HAND FLEX!!!

This list would not be complete without the addition of the iconic hand flex that Mr. Darcy gave after he helped Lizzy into the carriage. The period drama girlies go feral for this scene. It incapsulates his pining for her and the affect she has on him. “In vain he had struggled” but he couldn’t push down his feelings for the charming Elizabeth Bennet.

THE ENDING

The last scene of this movie is one of the best. It’s so romantic, Lizzy listing off her nicknames, Mr. Darcy calling her Mrs. Darcy. My cheeks hurt from smiling so much after this part. The fact that this scene was almost cut from the movie because a test audience reacted badly to it is baffling. Those people better not have been allowed in another test screening, clearly they have bad taste. This scene is such a perfect way to end the movie, it leaves you with such a warm, fuzzy feeling, and makes you want to watch it all over again.

WATCH IT ASAP

I could talk about this movie for HOURS, and sometimes I do to the poor people who I force to listen, but you really need to give this movie a watch if you haven’t already. And if you have, here’s your sign to watch it again. Soon enough this movie will be YOUR Roman Empire too.

Jessica Wikander is a new member of the Her Campus chapter at St. Bonaventure University this year, and is excited to write on topics such as movies, books, music, and so much more. She is also looking to get more involved in the world of writing and journalism as well as marketing while at school. Jessica is a freshman at St. Bonaventure University and is an undeclared communications major. Along with Her Campus, she has joined other on campus media outlets such as The Buzz, the campus radio station, and SBU-TV, the campus TV station. She also hopes to be a part of the Campus Conservationists Club, and the Jandoli School Women in Communications group. Back home, Jessica worked at her local public library for two and half years where she grew to love being surrounded by people who shared the same love of books and writing as her. On her own time, Jessica enjoys reading. She is a lover of classic literature, fantasy, and literary fiction. She also loves to crochet and is trying to learn how to knit. A comfort show of hers is New Girl, and is an avid period drama watcher and enthusiast. She is open to any discussions on her favorite pieces of media and is always looking for new recommendations of things to watch or read.