This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

This summer I had the amazing opportunity to live and work in the greatest city on Earth. I thought I’d throw together some of my thoughts and tips about living and interning in New York City. Interning in the city was one of the best experiences I have ever had and I highly recommend it to anyone who is even slightly interested. It may seem pretty daunting to move to a big city and jump right into the workforce when you’re still in college, but I promise you that it will be well worth the butterflies! I couldn’t be happier to have taken the leap of faith and followed my dream of interning in NYC this summer.

Tip #1: Finding an Internship in NYC

Lucky for us college kiddos, there are tons of companies looking for summer interns in NYC. This can be anything from major corporations, banks, fashion companies, charities, etc. Know what you’re interested in and go for it!

Making connections:

I highly recommend using LinkedIn to search and connect with companies who are looking for summer interns in NYC. Reach out to them and apply for as many as you see fit! Also, if you’re one of the luckier ones, having prior connections is a great way to land an internship in the city. For me, I was so grateful that my aunt was able to put me in contact with the company I was looking to work for. Networking is HUGE, and it goes a long way! New York may seem big, but people know each other. Be sure to use that to your advantage and get your foot in the door.

My LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/shannonreillymcnulty/

Tip #2 My Favorite Tip of All Time: Where to live

We all know that NYC is insanely expensive, and it basically costs $4.00 to even breathe there, and if you didn’t already know this… surprise! So, like where the hell are you going to live that isn’t going to cost you your life savings and maybe your younger sibling? The place that I found that worked best for me was living at Brittany Hall at NYU.

NYU houses interns for the summer and the application process is quite simple. I won’t sugar coat it and say it isn’t a bit costly, but for what’s included and for living right in Manhattan, I totally believe it to be worth it. When you live at NYU for the summer 24/7 security is included, as well as a gym membership, laundry services, bike storage, kitchen usage, etc. For me, I chose to live in Brittany Hall and it was the best decision I made.

Although Brittany wasn’t the closest NYU building to my work, the subway station to get to my company was just a block away! Also, living in Greenwich village is amazing. It is just a few blocks away from Washington Square Park and is surrounded by tons of restaurants and shops (not like we have the money for, that but still).

When applying to live at Brittany a good friend of mine and I chose to live in a suite-style dorm with three other girls who inevitably became our best friends! As far as food goes, all residents are required to have a meal plan. It was so convenient to be able to use my swipes for food at the dining halls instead of spending an atrocious amount of money on meals every day.

I loved living at Brittany since it is full of other interns in the summer. I got to know all sorts of people from all over the world and country. It was really inspiring to be surrounded by young adults like you, who are putting in work and chasing their dreams.

Tip #3: The Metro System

If you have to commute for your internship I highly recommend getting a metro card. Do not let the subway or bus system scare you, you’ll only get lost a few times! For real though, using the subway was the thing that scared me the most about moving to the city. After the first few days of me trying to navigate the subway system on my own, a friend of mine suggested I download City Mapper onto my phone and with the help of the app I was cruising NYC subway lines like a pro in no time.

Tip #4: Wear Comfy Shoes When Commuting

I can’t tell you the amount of times blisters ruined my day. It’s so easy to just throw your work shoes in your bag and wear comfortable shoes while commuting. A lot of interns make the mistake of not doing this. Just ask me and my three heel-loving roommates…

Tip #5: The Most Important Tip of Interning in NYC: Fully Immerse Yourself in the Culture!

Any free moment you have, go out and adventure in the city. There is nothing worse than staying in your room when you live in the greatest city in the world! Take trips to Coney Island, spend the day at Central Park, try new foods, and definitely don’t forget to dessert hop! The city is such an amazing place for young adults. It is the perfect place to grow independently and find what makes you truly happy. Take advantage of all it has to offer. The good and the bad. Embrace NYC with open arms and you’ll see just how much this little island can affect your life for the better.

With love,

Shan See original post: alleyesonher20.wordpress.com

Strategic Communications Major Marketing Minor SBU Her Campus Board SBU Cheerleading  Author of alleyesonher20.wordpress.com