This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

I don’t know about everyone else, but this past week was a busy one. The seemingly endless note-taking and studying was unenjoyable, to say the least, and it felt as if the due dates were just raining (maybe more like hailing) down all over the place. Though there is a light at the end of the tunnel with midterm break approaching, my patience wore thin this week, and I fear what next week may hold for me and my GPA. 

However, music was once again my savior during my treacherous endeavor to cram four psychology chapters, nine readings, an essay, one quiz and an exam into six days. It used to be rather difficult for me to focus on my school work while simultaneously curating a perfect song lineup, especially since I always ended up just wanting to listen to and enjoy the music I played. But, I am happy to report that I recently made a self-discovery of the best genre of music to listen to while I study, and that is R&B. There’s something about the smooth, chill vibes of a good R&B song that somehow allows me to relax and enjoy the music while also somehow maintaining enough focus to take notes and actually understand what I am writing down. 

So, do I recommend listening to music and trying to read incredibly confusing short stories for your World Lit class at the same time? Probably not, if your goal is a deeper understanding of the things you’re reading, but if you’re at the point I’m at, at which you simply just need to cross it off your to-do list, then my answer is yes.

Without further ado, here are some of my recent R&B and chill hip-hop picks that have made it on to my current study playlist. 

First up, from SZA, we have “Snooze” (Acoustic) (feat. Justin Bieber). Somehow this version eluded me up until a few weeks ago, and it has been on repeat ever since (particularly after Bieber did not perform alongside Usher during the Super Bowl halftime show). 

I am not sorry to say that I have reentered my Khalid phase, something that hasn’t occurred since the release of his 2019 album Free Spirit. Anyways, I’ve been really enjoying two songs by Alina Baraz that he is featured in: “Floating” and “Electric”, the latter of which I rediscovered from my old snowboarding playlist and the prior being a totally new one for me.

Daniel Caesar is also a newer artist for me as of this winter. I’m still making my way through his albums, but so far my favorites are “Japanese Denim” (it’s too good) and “Always.”

I’ll list a few more of my favorite songs and artists below, definitely take a listen during your next study session.

• “Sky Walker” by Miguel (feat. Travis Scott)
  • “Break from Toronto” by PARTYNEXTDOOR
  • “Lips Don’t Lie” (feat. A Boogie Wit da Hoodie)
  • “You Right” by Doja Cat, The Weeknd
  • “Feels Like Summer” by Childish Gambino
  • The Weeknd
  • Frank Ocean
  • Mac Miller 
  • Steve Lacy
From Buffalo, New York, Sofi is a sophomore transfer student at St. Bonaventure University and is a new Her Campus member. After changing her major for the dozenth (but hopefully last) time, deciding to pursue studies in English, Sofi joined Her Campus to share her passions for music and reading. When she is not watching Outer Banks or making yet another new Spotify playlist, Sofi loves to hangout with her friends, snowboard at Holiday Valley, and post her entire camera roll to her VSCO. She is also an avid reader and loves to catch up on her To Be Read list when she is not reading for a class. Sofi has too many favorite musical artists to list, so just know that if you can think it, she probably likes them (and she is open to new music reccs at any time). She also dabbles in graphic design, creating scrapbook-style Instagram posts when she feels it’s time for a camera roll dump. A known optimist, Sofi can’t wait to see where life takes her. She plans to live wherever her sister decides to settle down, and even though that may mean leaving Buffalo, she will forever remain a resilient Bills fan.