Career

My Experience Working The 1969 Mets Event @ Citi Field

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

As baseball season is officially over, I want to highlight one of my favorite events I worked this summer at my internship at WCBS Newsradio 880 AM. I was the Mets & News Programming Intern at the station. It was an unbelievable internship program but one event stood out to me the most.

My boss Tim Scheld invited the interns to the 1969 Mets Event at Citi Field. I never in a million years thought I would have the honor to work at an event at Citi Field. I remember waking up that day with the biggest smile on my face. I never thought I would ever work for my favorite baseball team.

Throughout the event, I posted engaging social media content on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook. It was so exciting working the event and seeing all the fan gathered for the event at Citi Field. Throughout the event, I went up to so many fans and asked then what they were most excited to see. We had special guests throughout the day on the radio to talk about their experiences and memories of the 1969 Mets team. It was remarkable to see all the fans reminisce and talk about the impact this team had in their life.

After the event, I was able to work in the Mets radio booth with Howie Rose and Wayne Randazzo. It was so cool to see a behind the scenes look at a daily radio broadcast for a Mets game. They talked about their past experiences and how they really enjoyed their jobs.

It was such a different perspective being at Citi Field for the event. It made me look at the team, the fans and the ball park in a whole new way. This experience was something I always dreamed of as a little girl and it for to come true surpassed all of my expectations.

After my experience working on behalf of the Mets and WCBS Newsradio 880 AM, it made me realize and be confident that women can succeed in the sports field. This experience was the first step to lead me to prove that women can do well in a man’s world of sports.

Hi!  My name is Keara Donnelly. I am from Long Island, NY. I am a senior Strategic Communication major at Saint Bonaventure University. I am on of the Co-Chapter Correpondents this year for the SBU chapter. 
As an honors student of St. Bonaventure University, it is my objective to pursue a career that will complement my passion for working with people, my dedication to exceeding goals, and my motivation to innovate. The industries that I hope to make a difference in are fashion, media, and business.