This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

I have been dancing for 13 years and throughout those years dance has been a significant part of my life. I have danced at studios and on the SBU dance team. Dancing is important to me and even though it consumed my life at some points it is all worth it. I have gained so many positive and negative experiences, but they have shaped my life so that I am the person I am today.

My love for dance started when I was young. When I was very little my parents had photos taken of me and I was pretending to dance. I would also dance in the living room of my house, so my mom decided to sign me up for dance lessons. She also wanted me to have a way to express my creativity in a way that was both active and would help me to meet other kids my age.

The first studio I danced at was a competitive studio and it was not the fit for me. My parents found a new studio for me to take lessons at. This studio would quickly become my second home. I made many friends there and I’m so glad I did. It was nice to have friends who I didn’t go to school with, especially at an early age. Sadly, I’m not good friends with these people anymore, but I still follow them on social media.

Dancing also made me the person I am today. It taught me to overcome challenges. For example, having knee pain from patellofemoral pain syndrome which is when the cartilage under the kneecap is damaged due to overuse. I also learned how to work with people in groups. We would be tasked with working in groups to choreograph short dances. I also learned that dance is not as pretty and perfect behind the scenes. Dancing can be incredibly stressful and there are many opportunities to get injured which I experienced a lot.

Cheer netflix
Netflix

After many years of dancing, I decided to take a break starting in high school. I cheered throughout high school and enjoyed doing the dancing part of cheer. Then when I was applying to St. Bonaventure, I was looking at the different club options that they had. I saw that they had both a dance team and a cheer team. I decided that I was going to join the dance team and I’m so glad that I did.

The SBU Dance Team is made up of so many amazing people and I’m so glad that I joined. I honestly don’t know if I would have survived my first year if I wasn’t on the team. I made so many friends by being on the team. It also helps to keep me in shape and to express my creativity.

Dance is such a big part of my life and I want to thank my mom for signing me up when I was young.

Celeste Robbins is a new member of the Her Campus chapter at St. Bonaventure University. She plans to write about relationships, pop culture, music, lifestyle and sports. Besides Her Campus, Celeste is part of the SBU Dance Team and WSBU The Buzz which is the school's radio station. Throughout middle school, high school and college Celeste has volunteered at local animal shelters, soup kitchens and for Special Olympics of Connecticut. She is currently a first year student who is majoring in Cybersecurity. In her free time, Celeste enjoys spending time with friends, crafting, listening to music, dancing, cuddling her pets and watching football. Her favorite musicians are Taylor Swift, Harry Styles, Zach Bryan, Morgan Wallen, Noah Kahan and Tyler Childers. She is also an avid Kansas City Chiefs fan.