Molly Driscoll’s Jet Setting Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

Hometown: Syracuse, NY

Major: Homeland Security

Career Goals: Work in the Federal Law Enforcement

What was the Internship you did this summer and what did it involve you having to do?

My internship was with the Corporate Security Department in United Airlines.  I was responsible for helping in investigations involving employee related incidents and company theft.  During the three-month internship, I flew over 30,000 miles. 

Did you have any reservations about taking such an intense internship?

When I applied for the internship, I never thought I would get it, but I wanted to at least try.  I applied to at least sixty internships at this point and only heard back from two.  When I heard I had been chosen for the interview, I agreed and flew out to Chicago, where I would be all summer if I got it.  Not long after, I was called that I got it and I accepted immediately.  I was a little nervous not knowing anyone who worked there or anything about the company besides that it was a Fortune 500 and had 90,000 employees.  I knew it would be an amazing opportunity and I would get to be in a new city. 

What was the best part of your internship?

The travel! With work I went all over the country, but I was also able to get free airfare to go home when I wanted or go visit friends.  At the end of the summer I even flew myself to Paris! Beyond that I really learned how to carry myself professionally and that I have what it takes to succeed in the corporate world.

What is your advice for someone who is looking for internships? 

Always apply to a lot of places.  Having rejection letters or not hearing back is hard, but it sets you up to have a choice.  Even if you don’t think you’ll get in, it’s better to try.  I am a big believer in dressing for the job you want, not the one you have and that mindset of having the bigger goals really helped me with the success I had this summer. 

RI girl stuck inland
As an honors student of St. Bonaventure University, it is my objective to pursue a career that will complement my passion for working with people, my dedication to exceeding goals, and my motivation to innovate. The industries that I hope to make a difference in are fashion, media, and business.