This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

Name: Gabriella Olsa

Hometown: Endicott, New York

Major: sport studies

Year: sophomore

Her Campus: “What are three things that you absolutely cannot live without?”

Gabriella Olsa: “My bed, phone and makeup.”

HC: “Your makeup always looks flawless. What are some of your secrets?”

GO: “I use lash primer to get long, voluminous lashes. It does a lot more than you think it would do. You can layer it on with mascara to get that desired length. I like to use a lot of highlight. You can put it on your cheekbones, the center length part of your nose, the inner corner of your eyes, above and below your eyebrows and the cupids bow on top of your lip—highlighting always gives a nice glow.” 

HC: “Do you have any eyeshadow tips?”

GO: “I do my eyeshadow different depending on events and my mood. But I typically use at least three different eyeshadows each time. I do a neutral color for my whole eyelid, a lighter color underneath my eyebrows, and a really dark color under my eyes to give a smoky look. Sometimes I’ll make the outside of my eye darker to give it even more of a smoldering look.”

HC: “Face contouring is a huge interest right now; what are some do’s and don’ts?”

GO: “Definitely do not use too light or dark of a color because it may look good in your room, but in harsh lighting you could look like a clown. Second, make sure to use a sponge to blend in the colors. Lastly, know where to put the highlight and contour that coordinates to your face shape. A little helpful tip is to have a friend look at it after your done to make sure it looks natural. The whole point is to have the shadows and highlights in the place where your face naturally has them—contouring just enhances.”

HC: “What is your favorite makeup brand?”

GO: “I would say it’s between Tarte and Urban Decay. I just love how there are a ton of colors and they have a whole array of products.”

HC: “What colors are you really into right now?”

GO: “I really like mauve colors. I would say light purples and lately I’ve been wearing a red eyeshadow from Tarte that I really love. I think it’s in a palette called ‘Bloom.’”

HC: “For those who take only have a few minutes to do their makeup, what are the three most important things to do?”

GO: “Definitely eyeshadow primer on your eyelids otherwise your eyeshadow will start creasing. A good foundation that matches your skin tone and blends into your neck is important. And probably a good quality mascara that you can just swipe on fast without it clumping—one that has a silicone brush and not one that has a ton of bristles. The silicon brush acts as a comb and can coat each lash separately.”

HC: “How would you describe your style?”

GO: “I’m very into neutral and dark colors for my outfits. You never really see me wearing any bright colors or florals. I’m not a very preppy person. I like the grunge look but with a very chic and polished edge.”

HC: “What are some of your go-to stores to shop for clothing?”

GO: “This is so hard! But I would say definitely Urban Outfitters, I like Saks, and I like a lot of Australian boutiques online like Xenia and Mura.”

HC: “What are the five things you always have in your makeup bag?”

GO: “Dior Diorshow Maximizer for a lash primer, Tartelette in Bloom for an eyeshadow palette, Anastasia Pomade for eyebrows, They’re Real Benefit Mascara, and MAC Strobe Cream for highlight.”

Photo courtesy of Gabriella Olsa

St. Bonaventure University Journalism & Mass Communication and Strategic Communications & Digital Media double major. I'm from Binghamton, New York and SBU's Her Campus senior editor. My life is like my hair– messy and uncontrollable.
I'm a sophomore journalism and mass communication major at St. Bonaventure University.