This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

When I was a little girl, I remember playing softball and sliding into home plate for the first time. I was so young no one had really taught me how to do it properly yet so I’m sure it looked a little silly and I also managed to scrape up my knee in the process. So, not only did I look stupid and hurt myself, but I was also tagged out. Feeling defeated, I stood up and walked back to the dugout, tears beginning to pool in my eyes. Then, as my mom came over to clean up my bloody knee, she said to me “Save your tears for the car ride home”. 

I definitely wasn’t the only kid who was told this, butI really took it to heart. You would never catch me crying in public as a kid and if you did, there was something seriously wrong. I even took great pride in this as I got older, that I didn’t cry like those other kids when I was in pain or something didn’t go my way was a real accomplishment for me. 

Over the summer, I went and saw Barbie, like almost every other woman in the country. Obviously, the whole movie caused me to have all kinds of realizations about myself, but there was one quote that really stuck with me. There is a moment towards the beginning of the movie where Lawyer Barbie says, “This makes me emotional and I’m expressing it. I have no difficulty holding both logic and emotion at the same time, and it does not diminish my powers. It expands them.”

Ever since, I have decided to tell myself I am allowed to have emotions and they are completely valid, and it does not make me weak. 

Now, I cry all the time! Here are just a few of what I would once consider stupid reasons I cried recently.

*Warning: way too many of these involve Taylor Swift*

The scene in Toy Story 2 where Jessie gets abandoned by her old owner 
The songs Marjorie and The Best Day by Taylor Swift
The ending of Barbie
The release of Speak Now (Taylor’s Version)
I saw a really cute dog video on Instagram
I saw a really cute baby video on Instagram
The entirety of seeing The Eras Tour live
Watching the announcement of 1989 (Taylor’s Version) on a TikTok livestream at 2 in the morning
Listening to the album Preacher’s Daughter by Ethel Cain for the first time 
Missing my college friends over midterm break
Missing my family and my dog while at school
Realizing some of my friends are graduating soon
Reading the book, The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo
Getting a really pretty copy of Little Women for my birthday
Delaney Chase is the co-campus correspondent for the St. Bonaventure University Her Campus chapter. She works with the other campus correspondent and various board members to communicate with the rest of the Her Campus community as well as edit articles and lead weekly meetings. Delaney is a junior and is currently studying journalism and political science. She also is a writer for TAP into Greater Olean, an online news platform in the St. Bonaventure area, as well as a captain of the St. Bonaventure Women's Club Basketball team and Vice President of SBU for Equality. She enjoys hearing and sharing experiences with those of similar interests and enjoys being involved in different activities across the SBU campus. She finds this a great way to gain connections with those at her university and in nearby areas. She is enjoys the ability to gain experience and further her knowledge of the communications field. Outside of her time in school, Delaney loves listening to Taylor Swift and will take absolutely any opportunity to bring her up in conversation. She can often be found at the campus Starbucks with her friends ordering a pumpkin spice latte or brown sugar oat milk shaken espresso. She enjoys reading classic novels but also loves watching the trashiest reality TV shows.